FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Berkley NANOFIL fishing line  (Read 14424 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: Berkley NANOFIL fishing line
« Reply #45 on: Aug 30, 2011, 01:56 PM »
Also, I forgot to mention it.  I pretty much abused this thin line, tossing into weeds, getting hung up on briars and such.  I was able to haul bass out of the slop (I never would have thought that I could do that with such thin line).  But, the line will fray after some of that abuse.  Snip off a few feet every now and then and you're good to go.  I only noticed it on the first few feet of line.  I trimmed off about 4' total last night.  I hadn't done that much with Suffix 832 or Power Pro, so that is one negative thing to compare.  That said, I trim a few feet off my fluorocarbon line every now and then for the same reason, and Seaguar isn't that much cheaper.  I used to trim mono all the time, and respool almost weekly. 

With fluorocarbon, I respool about once every three months and haven't had problems at all.  With superlines, I've pulled it off and reversed spooling it, but it lasts all season.  I read, I think in Bassmaster, that you should change out your braid yearly, that after constant use it weakens over time.  I'd bet it's the same thing for Nanofil.

raate

« Reply #46 on: Aug 30, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Also, I forgot to mention it.  I pretty much abused this thin line, tossing into weeds, getting hung up on briars and such.  I was able to haul bass out of the slop (I never would have thought that I could do that with such thin line).  But, the line will fray after some of that abuse.  Snip off a few feet every now and then and you're good to go.  I only noticed it on the first few feet of line.  I trimmed off about 4' total last night.  I hadn't done that much with Suffix 832 or Power Pro, so that is one negative thing to compare.  That said, I trim a few feet off my fluorocarbon line every now and then for the same reason, and Seaguar isn't that much cheaper.  I used to trim mono all the time, and respool almost weekly. 

With fluorocarbon, I respool about once every three months and haven't had problems at all.  With superlines, I've pulled it off and reversed spooling it, but it lasts all season.  I read, I think in Bassmaster, that you should change out your braid yearly, that after constant use it weakens over time.  I'd bet it's the same thing for Nanofil.
Abrasion was the only negative i could come up with on this line also. Retying often solved the problem. I was jigging on a sharp rocky shoal in Canada, after losing quite a few fish to break offs, and blaming the knots.. ::)  i noticed the frayed line after only a few casts..and just made sure i kept an eye on it.
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience!

TheDL

« Reply #47 on: Aug 30, 2011, 08:14 PM »
thanks for the detailed nanofil report!
tight lines....

pike46

• looking for my 30 pounder
« Reply #48 on: Sep 21, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Havent tried Nano yet. I Like Fireline But you need to break it in. it lasts forever and i find it better the 2nd season i use it. Call me crazy I also use and really like Berkely big game. tough no twist. I have landed my biggest pike to date (23lbs) on 6lb trilene xt! a very good line. Power pro is strong and casts well but it is always birdnesting (spinning reel). That never ever happens when i use fireline. Nanofil for pike may not be the right application.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #49 on: Sep 22, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Here's another observation, not really good or bad, just weird.  You can cast this line a long way, a well known fact now.  But when you do make a long cast, the line hangs in the air long before your lure lands, like it floats.  I don't think it's a problem though.  For example, you'd think that when a fish hits your lure as soon as it hits the water, as they often do, that you wouldn't feel the bite.  But, what I've noticed is that it doesn't matter because the line has zero stretch and is very senstive, so you still feel the bite even though your line is bowed in the air.

Still, it's the friggin weirdest feeling.  The only time that I've experienced that happening with any other line was during a thunderstorm using mono, when the line wouldn't fall...

...just an observation, again, not good or bad I think.

JAMMER

« Reply #50 on: Sep 22, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Thanks fat boy, i want to see how it makes out thru a frozen hole.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #51 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Thanks fat boy, i want to see how it makes out thru a frozen hole.

Yep, me too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.