FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Old car battery for trolling?  (Read 17646 times)

evanesce

Old car battery for trolling?
« on: May 09, 2012, 01:53 PM »
I got an old car battery that my dad was about to trash.  I charged it and seems to hold a decent charge.  I'm going to test it out as to how much juice it has.  The guy I bought the boat from owes me a marine battery and he's so busy to find it for me, so in the meantime, there's no harm in using this clunker battery to its death?  Your thoughts appreciated!

TheDL

Re: Old car battery for trolling?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:16 PM »
I'm no battery expert, but I'm sure we'll hear from some.  I would think a car battery would be more akin to a starting/cranking battery that won't put out the consistent amps you need to run your trolling motor - it'll probably crap out on you real fast...espcially being an old one. 

Sounds like the guy you bought the boat from is giving you the run around?  Do your self a favour and get a new battery - you'll be glad you did when you need it.
tight lines....

NYSporty

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Running your trolling motor will drain it quicker than a marine battery. deep cycle means the battery puts out constant voltage longer. I'm sure the car battery will work but it may be for 15 min depending how bad off it is.
Make sure you bring some oars.
But like DL said get a good deep cycle battery even if you get the other one having 2 is never a bad thing.
PS Stay away from the Neverstart ones at wallmart they are junk.

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:30 PM »
Amps are amps and it will run a trolling motor... The problem is the plates in a starting battery are thinner (thin to give up amps fast for starting) then in a deep cycle and can/will warp and kill the battery. You will want to look and see how many Amp Hours the battery has to give you a idea of how long it will run your trolling motor. Good luck!

evanesce

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 02:47 PM »
Amps are amps and it will run a trolling motor... The problem is the plates in a starting battery are thinner (thin to give up amps fast for starting) then in a deep cycle and can/will warp and kill the battery. You will want to look and see how many Amp Hours the battery has to give you a idea of how long it will run your trolling motor. Good luck!
It's an AutoCraft Silver 34-1 with 660 cold cranking amps, 825 cranking amps, maintenance free.  Like I said I don't care about the plates messing up this battery was saved from the trash.  When it does die, and I still don't have the deep cycle I was promised, I can use this as the core to avoid the core charge! :)

Basstracker

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:20 PM »
I have used normal batteries when I was younger with my little row boat... They work for a few hours then suck pretty bad lol. Only batteries I will buy for my boat now are Optimas (have 3 in my boat now) they are expensive but worth every penny.

evanesce

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:53 PM »
I was thinking of interstate marine.  I love the green color too.  They also carry some very fancy battery boxes.  I saw one at walmart with 2 cig sockets, a health meter, fuses, etc, etc but they wanted nearly 50 bux for just the case.  Seems high / luxury level.

gundogwanted

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 05:58 PM »
50 for that case, I have one of those cases, they work fine, but you can get them a lot cheaper.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

evanesce

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 06:24 PM »
50 for that case, I have one of those cases, they work fine, but you can get them a lot cheaper.

Where did you find it for less?  I'd like one :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-WIRED-MARINE-BATTERY-CASE-STORAGE-BOX-W-CIRCUIT-BREAKER-EXTERNAL-TERMINALS-/170836648688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c6a862f0#ht_2644wt_922

This is the link to the one walmart was selling, but as you can see, same high price as walmart :o

gundogwanted

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Cabela's, $34.99.  Item number: IK-021145
check out the website.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

gundogwanted

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Also, marinebatteryshop.com......same price. free shipping over 50.00

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:08 PM »
If it is your only option, and it lasts five minutes, I would consider 5 minutes better than nothing! lol

Like ya said, at least you have a core now.

Catfish78

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 10:09 PM »
Ride er till she bucks you. Just have your oars ready when it dies ;). We used to pop the battery out of the jeep, fish for an hour or more then put the battery back in the jeep and never did we have an issue. I know that was down to pure luck but it worked.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 01:34 AM »
Use it! It won't hurt a thing.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 07:16 AM »
i use 2 old car batterys and i can get 2-3 hours out of each them with my 55lb thrust minnkota. i only use the 2 or 3 setting on it. 2 batterys would last e all day if i was trolling for brookys. but i needed 3 old batterys to troll for salmon. i cant afford a new deepcycle so i just use what i got. works for me. good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.