FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Why did you pick your user name?  (Read 20082 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Why did you pick your user name?
« on: Feb 19, 2004, 07:19 AM »
This was a popular Iceshanty thread, so I'll start it here too.  Also, after describing why you picked your user name, tell us something about yourself, hobbies, what you like to fish for, etc.

My user name "Fat Boy" is based on a lure marketed by Lindy Little Joe (Systems Tackle), a jig used for ice fishing.  I'll modify this post and show a pic once that feature is working.

However, last year it certainly described my stature at 5' 11' and 268 pounds.  The Atkins diet has allowed me to lose 60 pounds and I'm down to 208 right now.  I'd like to lose 20 more but they are coming off real slow right now.

I'm my wife's worst nightmare because there is a season for everything.  I like to icefish the most, followed by bass fishing (largemouth and my favorite smallmouth), and crappie fishing, and any kind of fishing where fish bite.  I keep a few panfish during winter ice fishing and a few stocked trout, but other than that I practice catch and release (unless some slab crappie happen to find their way into my fryer once in a rare while).  I like to fly fish also.  I like small creeks, rivers, and lakes.

Other hobbies, some that my wife despise me for include:  Softball (2 teams), bowling (August thru May), bowhunting for whitetails, 3 D archery, I'm an Izaak Walton League active member, volunteer work for our local parks department, amateur paleontologist (fossil collector), all around nature enthusiast (sharing time with my daughter is my favorite hobby), NASCAR fan, and a general sports fan.

I love my nagging wife and have an 11 year old daughter who loves the outdoors as well.  She can't get enough of it.

Enough of me, let's hear about you.

Tight lines everyone!

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Why did you pick your user name?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2004, 08:01 PM »
I dont really know why I picked my name but I had it on Iceshanty so I brought it over here.

Like you I have something to do for every season.  I like to ice fish, fish for panfish in the spring, bass in the summer and fish for pike in september and early october.  I fish for walleyes anytime.  Middle of october is the start of bow season.  I am only 14 and this past year was my first year.

Other hobbies include racing(both dirt and asphalt).  I also like hockey,football and baseball.
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2004, 09:11 PM »
Well, I picked my name because I'm from Chenango County (that's right, I'm NOT oriental! ;) ), and bass fishing is always in my head.

I too have activities for every season. Ice fishing in the cold months, then turkey hunting and bass fishing. In the fall, more bass, and some pike, along with fall turkey hunting. Mid-October is bowhunting, followed by gun hunting, and late muzzleloader.

In the spring, I play baseball, and last year I won my teams MVP award, which is a very big deal to me. Practice starts Monday the 8th.

-Zach

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2004, 09:20 PM »
Nobody I knew hunted, fished, etc. so when I started doing it on my own my family said I was like a Lone Wolf . I would take off by myself bow hunting, fly fishing or whatever.  ;)
Those who are brave are free ..       

Fish Monger

« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2004, 05:42 AM »
Cause that's what my pa called me...  ;D ... it's my real name. Not bashful here.

Not much to say, I fish and hunt all year. I don't stop until my wife give me he77 then I take a break for a few weeks. I've got a couple more attempts at ice fishing then I think I'll be shut down. Then it's time to get the boat ready for the ocean. Shortly after that the lakes will open up. Before you know it Turkey season will be here and I will take a break from fishing. The year just goes on from there!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2004, 07:15 AM »
In the spring, I play baseball, and last year I won my teams MVP award, which is a very big deal to me.

Zach, that is a very big deal.  I played college baseball and on some very good summer teams in my day, and believe me, to get to the next level it takes hard work but it's worth it.  I simply ran out of time, they don't look very hard at old guys. 

If you are serious about that sport, work hard while you are young and don't give up.  Sounds like you have some talent.  If a coach advises you that you don't have what it takes, don't simply believe him, use that statement to jumpstart yourself and work harder.  Look for someone to help you improve and get you to the next level.  Also, don't ever become satisfied that you are good enough because you can always get better.  Let me also say that you should seize the moment and look at this as an opportunity because if you don't you'll look back and regret it.

Work on your speed (sprinting), arm strength, technique, lift weights and work on your swing.  The game is run, hit and throw.   Man, I envy you because that part of my life passed me by so fast.  I thought that I worked hard but after looking back I could have worked harder and made it.  In college, I let it get to my head that I was as good as I was going to get and slacked.  I was young and dumb.  Hindsight is 20-20, look to the future and get that hindsight now.

Good luck and hope to read your name in the Washington Post or Sports Illustrated some day Zach!

Fishingking

« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2004, 01:58 PM »
Because I am the fishing king lol well i consider myself part of that 20% that catches 80% of the fish  yes i learned that in fish school
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

Thor

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2004, 02:34 PM »
Thor is the Norse god of thunder. He is a son of Odin and Jord, and one of the most powerful gods. He is married to Sif, a fertility goddess. His mistress is the giantess Jarnsaxa ("iron cutlass"), and their sons are Magni and Modi and his daughter is Thrud. Thor is helped by Thialfi, his servant and the messenger of the gods.

Well actually...I'm afraid of thunder and my dad and mom's names are not Odin and Jord.  My wife would kill me if I called her a "fertility goddess", and I don't have a mistress.  My children are not named Magni, Modi or Thrud, and I don't have a servant.

So why the heck did I pick this name?  My real name is Tom Horan, so I just shortened it down to Thor.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2004, 04:22 PM »
OMG,  ROFLMFAO!!!!!  That is one of the best posts I have ever read.  I thought you were a fruitcake until the second chapter.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2004, 04:27 PM »
BTW,  it goes like this.  When I signed up for a forum similar to this in Mn I had to pick a username.  With some thought I decided that I should be fishing (sbf),  not playing with this stupid computer.  I then moved to PA and I found the shanty and decided on shouldbefishnpa.  After a few nites in the chat room and people not wanting to type all those letters,  sbfpa_Mike was created,  you guys can call me Mike.  :D

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2004, 04:36 PM »
Thor is the Norse god of thunder. He is a son of Odin and Jord, and one of the most powerful gods. He is married to Sif, a fertility goddess. His mistress is the giantess Jarnsaxa ("iron cutlass"), and their sons are Magni and Modi and his daughter is Thrud. Thor is helped by Thialfi, his servant and the messenger of the gods.

Well actually...I'm afraid of thunder and my dad and mom's names are not Odin and Jord.  My wife would kill me if I called her a "fertility goddess", and I don't have a mistress.  My children are not named Magni, Modi or Thrud, and I don't have a servant.

So why the heck did I pick this name?  My real name is Tom Horan, so I just shortened it down to Thor.

Thor, you are crackin me up.  For a minute there, I thought you might have been the most confident person that I have yet to meet! ;D ;D ;D

Riverjet

« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2004, 05:17 PM »
I picked mine because my primary boat is a shallow water jet outboard and i fish alot in rivers. Also have a 21' wellcraft for offshore and a 12' aluminum for the smaller lakes. Also do a lot of small stream fly fishing. Just addicted i guess.
Heaven is a shallow river & a jet

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2004, 05:22 PM »
Started has a C.B. handle. Fished a lot back than also.  ;)
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Show me the money

« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2004, 07:02 PM »
fantasy football name

jigerjim

« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2004, 07:03 PM »
My name was given to me 35 year's ago because of my ability to catch fish on a jigen rod. I use the same name on the shanty, River Smallies, and some other forum's that I havent used lately.
  I guess my first love would be Smallmouth fishen, followed closely by ice fishen. This year I will spend more time Panfishen.  For about 50 year's I was a aved fly fisherman but I all but give up for reason's I whont go into now. I havent had a fly rod out in 3 year's. The only hunting I do is spring gobbler's and a little deer hunting, not much. I very seldom fish on Sunday's because I watch Nascar raceing. I hate #24  ;D ;D
All way's keep your line wet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.