FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best saltwater reel?  (Read 3715 times)

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
best saltwater reel?
« on: Apr 26, 2004, 07:33 AM »
im looking for a new reel for my  striper rod...its a 10' surfrod  and wanted to know what is evryone using?? and how do you like it??if you could buy a new one today what would it be?? ;D thanks guys and gals :P
Scotty 

bluefinforme

Re: best saltwater reel?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2004, 06:45 PM »
Scotty,
With out a doubt..........Okuma Epixor EB 65......9 ball bearings and a bait feeder one-touch........  I have 4 that I use on my charters, and they are effortless.  Penn LiveLiners are nice too....but go with the 9 ball bearing BEAST!

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2004, 07:13 PM »
thanks skipper i have been eyeballing the okuma for sure !!
Scotty 

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2004, 07:40 PM »
I have both the Okuma epixor 65 as well as the Okuma avenger 65.If you plan on using your reel for double duty with live bait out of a boat as well as cut bait from the surf then get the epixor baitrunner series,about $90. But if your only going to use it with cut bait from the surf then for only $40 you can't beat the avenger 65.I had been a penn man for years strapping the 7500 & 8500 series to 12' surf rods.But the okuma casts so much easily and so much farther at 1/3 the cost of the penns that I'll only be getting Okumas for now,unless I hit the megabucks then I'll break down and get a fin-nor for a kings ransom ;D.
Bubba

TroutKing

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2004, 08:35 AM »
I love the Okuma Epixor, but I think your best bet would be the Shimano baitrunner 6500.  This is a smooth cast/retrieving reel and the baitrunner can be set very light. I have the 4500 and I absolutely love it.  I think the 6500 is probably better for the larger rod you have.

TroutKing

bluefinforme

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2004, 02:13 PM »
I love the Okuma Epixor, but I think your best bet would be the Shimano baitrunner 6500.  This is a smooth cast/retrieving reel and the baitrunner can be set very light. I have the 4500 and I absolutely love it.  I think the 6500 is probably better for the larger rod you have.

TroutKing
nothing against bait runners.......but trust me scott!

Dogman

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2004, 07:08 PM »
Not that you can find them anymore but I have a Diawa Gold series GS-9 in mint condition.It was made in 1976 and sat in a box until last year when I bought it from the owners wife.He had a habit of buying stuff and never using it.I suppose some day I'll have to upgrade to something from this century but by then you guys will have figured out which one to get. ;D

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2004, 07:54 PM »
lmao dogman ...
Scotty 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.