FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Had to get a Cod  (Read 1874 times)

stripernut

Had to get a Cod
« on: Oct 02, 2019, 05:51 AM »
So Monday was my only free day and I had to fish. It was also the last day we would get to bring a cod home (North of Cape Cod), but the forecast was for 4 footers (at 16 sec.) and breezy in the morning. A little bumpy for my boat, I also did not feel like any hassle. As luck would have it Captains Fishing Parties up on Plum Island was going out Monday and it was a Marathon trip. Well, surprise, surprise they were bigger than 4' and only 5 sec apart! Fun ride out, but at least they got it right and it did calm down and fishing was easy. We only had about a half-full boat and most were old salts but as always there were tangled lines, I had a stern position and was able to stay out of most of it. The fishing was fast with lots of keeper haddock, I got well over my limit, but from the start was only keeping the nicer ones for the table. Some nice pollock, cust, and cod were had by most everyone. We did have a number of sharks plaguing us as the fish were brought up. Blues and porbeagles were both seen. I only had trouble once and as luck would have it I had pulled out a heavy cod rod I had not used in years for sling big jigs. I was bring up a good fish and I hooked what I am sure was a porbeagle and the fight was on. It seemed that the 18 oz Norwegian jig was protecting my line as I put the screws to the fish with everything my TLD 25 could take with 80 lb braid (with the Binnini it brakes at 117lbs) and the drag in a strike position I was still burning my thumbs! If the shark had stayed away from the boat I had a very good chance of landing it, but as my line started to sweep down the side of the boat and I feared I might cut someone's head off, I called for the line to be cut... Sad, but it was a fun 5 min! I left with a nice bag of fresh fish and a big smile (more than a little tired) and I still have that great ache of muscles used in the pursuit of happiness! I did not take any time for pictures, just to busy fishing!

westernmas

Re: Had to get a Cod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2019, 10:09 AM »
Sounds like a great trip!  You'll be eating well this winter.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

deerhunter

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2019, 11:53 AM »
you done well seeing it was a party boat. I caught a 250 lb poorbeagle a while back fishing with the helem h in dec out on georges. didn't have too fight it long. the mate gaffed it right away. my buddie got one too. cut em up and gave everybody on the boat some of it

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2019, 12:22 PM »
you done well seeing it was a party boat. I caught a 250 lb poorbeagle a while back fishing with the helem h in dec out on georges. didn't have too fight it long. the mate gaffed it right away. my buddie got one too. cut em up and gave everybody on the boat some of it

How was it?  I've heard they are actually pretty tasty.  I've caught some dogfish trolling eels and my kayak.  I think it's a big striper every time and then have to deal with getting it off the hook on a yak, which isn't the easiest.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

manitron

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2019, 12:25 PM »
Nice work Alan. Sounds like a great time.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2019, 12:29 PM »
How was it?  I've heard they are actually pretty tasty.  I've caught some dogfish trolling eels and my kayak.  I think it's a big striper every time and then have to deal with getting it off the hook on a yak, which isn't the easiest.

Poorbeagle shark is very good table fair. Not as good alas thresher, but I enjoyed some the other week from a friend who also distributed some filets from a party boat.

CMD1987

« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2019, 01:50 PM »
Captains is the best party boat in mass in my opinion. Always put you on the fish. I went out on the marathon the week before you. Caught several nice cod - biggest at 15 lbs - Many small cod too. Small cod are a good sign. Cod population north of cape cod seems to be increasing by all reports. Hopefully they open it up to one a day in the next few years.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Nice work Allan.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2019, 12:53 PM »
Nice day Alan.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Is it on L or two!  Someone straighten this out for me!

Baitbucket

« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2019, 06:26 PM »

Its two lol.

Nice job getting out Allan, glad you were able to get on them.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2019, 07:13 PM »
My problem also was it an or en.. LOL

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Nice work Allen!
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.