FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: You Gotta Work It, Work It  (Read 966 times)

bogtrotter

You Gotta Work It, Work It
« on: Oct 05, 2019, 06:32 PM »
I fished three streams between 10:30 AM and 5 PM today.

The weather was near perfect: mostly sunny and cool.  Although it was just 30 degrees when I woke up this morning, it had warmed up to the mid 40's by the time I got started, and edged up to the upper 50's by the time I finished.

I started with the East Housatonic in Dalton. 

I tend to hit the East Housatonic a half dozen to a dozen times per year, and in most years find it to be fairly dependable. 

But this year, I had tried it four or five times, without getting a single hit. 

So my main objective for the day was to break my losing streak and catch a trout on the East Housatonic today.

The omens were encouraging: the stream levels were about ideal.

Fortunately, I achieved my goal early on, landing an 11" brookie just below the Depot Street dam.

Then I drove down to the West Housatonic Street bridge and eventually reeled in a 10" brown.

Next up was the West Housatonic in Pittsfield.

Unlike the East Housatonic, though, the West Housatonic was quite low.

I started by Clapp Park.  Nothing under the trestle. 

I headed upstream a football field or so, and caught a few dace and perch, but that was about it all the way to the next bridge.

I headed back to my car, drove upstream to the Greendale Street bridge, and fished down from there. 

Along the way, I caught some perch and dace, and finally reeled in a symbolic 8" brown.

I backtracked to my car, and drove further upstream to Hungerford Street, parking near the Iron Man machine shop, and waded
downstream.

By the field with the big radio antennas, I came across a broad shallow "lagoon" loaded with small perch and (surprise) one 11" rainbow, which after a couple hits and misses, I managed to catch the third time around.

After walking back to my car, I drove to the Northwest Housatonic along Wahconah Street in Pittsfield, and fished both above and below the dam there - - hoping mainly to land one of the big carp that prowl the mudflats above the dam.

I saw one of the carp, but didn't  even come close to hooking, much less landing one.  However, I did reel in a miscellany of fish, ranging from dace to perch to sunfish to some of the smallest (3")  bass that I've ever seen.

I also saw a lot of birds: geese, ducks, gulls, crows and kingfishers.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: You Gotta Work It, Work It
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2019, 08:57 AM »
As always, a great adventure and story Jim!
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

Re: You Gotta Work It, Work It
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2019, 09:39 AM »
Way to get out there Jim.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.