MyFishFinder By Species > Salmon
White meat salmon!
(1/5) > >>
Barleydog:
OK Folks,
Who here has ever caught a "white salmon"???  A fresh salmon, (let me clarify) DIME BRIGHT fish, that has flat white flesh!  I had been told these fish are extremely rare, but never laid eyes on such a fluke, until this last weekend.   I've cleaned at least a thousand salmon, and never, have I seen such a interesting sight!  The fish in the photo below is compaired to an average salmon caught on the same day.  This fish was not a spawned out old stinky fish, but rather an ocean going strong fish with sea lice around the vent.
The fish in question had very firm flesh!  Being told it was the best fillets around, I made one on the grill.  Can't say it was any different????  Still a neat anomaly!

White salmon fillet

Regular salmon fillet
bigredfishing:
BD, if i remember correctly, the lack of red in the flesh is due to a genetic defect...very rare indeed.  Nice cohos!
AD:
Yeah I think Bigred is right,     used to see them in the pinks we were spawning up there in AK occasionally, probably 1 for over every thousand or two fish, its a rare find.     
Kodiak Commando:
White fleshed king salmon are the greatest!!!! They have a lot firmer and much sweeter flesh than regular kings.
Barleydog:
Thought you guys would get a charge out of them....  Funny thing is, they taste pretty much the same.  I was told years ago by Washington F&G that these fish are in fact genetic freaks.   I think you guys are right on the one in a thousand.... ;D
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version