FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: $50 to spend at Bass Pro  (Read 2900 times)

FishingNewEngland

$50 to spend at Bass Pro
« on: Jun 21, 2010, 03:04 PM »
Got the obligatory $50 gift card yesterday for Father's Day. :)

Was thinking of trying out some of the hollow body swimbaits that are all the craze right now. Any other suggestions on what to get?
Contributing blogger at www.wickedfishah.com

LENZ

• Member of the G.O.D.S
Re: $50 to spend at Bass Pro
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2010, 07:17 AM »
do they sell beer???

burp

lenz
soft water fishin' is for softies

burp

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2010, 08:43 AM »
I use the hollow belly baits all the time. Very versitle, some brands are definately better then others. Reaction Strike baits are cheap but effective, after 2-3 fish bait is junk. Also out of a package of 4 RS baits 1 or 2 won't swim. Yum is better quality, all baits swim and are tough but color selection is not too good. Netbaits are tough, last a long time, good colors but out of a package of 5 3 will swim good 2 just aren't right. Hammer baits just plain kickass (awesome colors and great quality) but are setup to use with a jighead and exposed hook, not so weedless. These are just a couple examples of the more popular brands . . . I have tried quite a few. You want a lesson, give me a call.

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2010, 09:17 AM »
I wound up replacing a couple of lures I'd lost recently and picked up a pack of the Shadalicious swim baits. Tried them out last night and missed two good hits on one bait. I think they were pickerel because the bait was almost trashed after that.

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Ya that is always an issue, they come back tailless quite a bit too. What type of hooks did you go with? I like the screw in twist lock type. Also to help increase hook-ups slit the belly with a razor blade, makes it easier for the hook to penetrate the body with out tearing and I find it adds a little extra body wiggle. Applying a spray on scent seems to help quite a bit as well.

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Ya that is always an issue, they come back tailless quite a bit too. What type of hooks did you go with? I like the screw in twist lock type. Also to help increase hook-ups slit the belly with a razor blade, makes it easier for the hook to penetrate the body with out tearing and I find it adds a little extra body wiggle. Applying a spray on scent seems to help quite a bit as well.

I went with a 3/0 owner hook with the screw in lock. I like the razor idea, I'll try that tonight.

JDiperrio

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2010, 09:48 AM »
The sebiles are real nice swim baits
John

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2010, 10:09 AM »
What size baits are you throwing? On my 5-6" I'm using a 7/0 Owner Beast, you want to try and get the hook as far back in the body while maintaining a good swimming action. The shank of the hook or belly weight should not come in contact with the body of the swimbait. If it does it will greatly effect the action and make it swim left or right.

I haven't tried the Sebiles yet but I hear very good things. Price is a big factor to me when purchasing a bait that will eventualyget chewed off. Are they expensive?

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2010, 10:11 AM »
What size baits are you throwing? On my 5-6" I'm using a 7/0 Owner Beast, you want to try and get the hook as far back in the body while maintaining a good swimming action. The shank of the hook or belly weight should not come in contact with the body of the swimbait. If it does it will greatly effect the action and make it swim left or right.

I haven't tried the Sebiles yet but I hear very good things. Price is a big factor to me when purchasing a bait that will eventualyget chewed off. Are they expensive?

I'll take a pic tonight and post it. I think I have it right. They don't sell the Sebiles at Bass Pro.

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Another quick tip, if your fishing open water and not worried about weeds you can thread the eye of a treble hook through the twist lock hook for increased hook-up ratio. ;) Just put one of the treble hooks into the body of the bait to keep in place while casting. You also gotta set the hook hard to drive the hook through the body of the bait and into the fish. Tight lines buddy!

PS My boat is ready to get wet, when we hittin it?

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Another quick tip, if your fishing open water and not worried about weeds you can thread the eye of a treble hook through the twist lock hook for increased hook-up ratio. ;) Just put one of the treble hooks into the body of the bait to keep in place while casting. You also gotta set the hook hard to drive the hook through the body of the bait and into the fish. Tight lines buddy!

PS My boat is ready to get wet, when we hittin it?

I don't have your # anymore. My daughter dropped my phone in the toilet a while back. Still have mine? Call me.

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Thats funny  :D I'll give ya a buzz.

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Mark,

Here's what I got. It's a 5.5" swimming shad. I'm pretty sure I have it rigged right. Let me know.

I have the hook protruding but laying snug against the top of the bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.