FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How many Kayak fisherman out there?  (Read 2080 times)

pikeking

How many Kayak fisherman out there?
« on: Jun 18, 2010, 10:29 PM »
I have recently bought a Kayak and have been fishing out of it. This is so much fun. When I first got it I went to a small pond and just did some paddling to get used to it. As soon as I felt OK using it, I headed to a local Bass spot. I had a great time. I was able to get into spots that I have never been to with my boat. I have a group of guys and kids going out at 4am this sunday for Fathers Day. Don't have any pics yet but I will soon.
IF FISHING WAS WORK, I\\\'D NEVER BE SICK!!!!!!!!

GrizlyGarou

Re: How many Kayak fisherman out there?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2010, 06:57 AM »
I love my kayak.  I carry it into little out of the way ponds, or run it up and down brooks that are only a few inches deep. 

I even put an anchor trolley on it so I can anchor facing into or down wind or current.  I use a lobsterpot bait bag with a rock I grab at whatever pond I go to so I could cut back on the weight when I hike into places, too.

Wait until you get a big pickerel or pike on it and you're not anchored.  That's a heck of a time!

Last Cast 69

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2010, 07:02 AM »
+1.  got my first striper in it this year. 37".
just whait until you start targeting the larger species, its addicting!

capedeer/fish

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2010, 07:50 AM »
Not much better than a 30 pound striper pulling ya for a lil ride. I love the kayak and am headed out in it today!
IndianHill Icetrap Pro Staff                                               SavageGear Product Tester         Dexter-Russell outdoors Pro Staff   ODM Rods Pro Staff

lavaman

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2010, 01:25 PM »
i got 2 sit in yaks and have no reason to use my canoe anymore. i use it mainly in fresh water and i love it cause i can be fish ready in 5 mins. 1 pole, a small tackle box, yak, oar, inflatable pfd and away i go. it's faster than trailering a boat.

volume4130

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2010, 10:16 PM »
I got one last fall and its one of the best things I ever did.  Its opened up so many more spots to fish in and they're pretty easy to strap it down to my car and go!  I've caught most of my biggest bass out of this thing in the past year or so.

perchpirate97

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Hooking into a carp, free 20 minute kayak ride  8)

jtk2

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2010, 07:53 PM »
its also known as a nantucket sleigh ride. originally for whalers but same difference. ive had a few fish drag me around in mine. they are great for hard to get to spots.
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

chimo

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Just started fishing out of a sit in yak and like it a lot.  Spent most of the past couple years stuck on the bank so it is nice to get out to the deeper water again.  I've used it in both fresh and salt water and can't wait to hook into something big when I am fishing the Chesapeake Bay  ;D  Good fishin

Chimo

volume4130

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2010, 09:08 PM »
Do any of you guys have fish/depth finders for your kayaks?  I was thinking about getting one because a lot of places I go don't have great depth maps (if at all), so this would help me find some deeper structure...Any recommendations?  I'm not trying to spend too much $$, but still want something decent.

GrizlyGarou

« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2010, 09:49 PM »
Do any of you guys have fish/depth finders for your kayaks?  I was thinking about getting one because a lot of places I go don't have great depth maps (if at all), so this would help me find some deeper structure...Any recommendations?  I'm not trying to spend too much $$, but still want something decent.

I bring a vexilar out on mine every so often.  I bring the GPS and mark stuff, too.  Then I don't have to bring the vex everytime and after a few trips I can get myself pretty close without the electronics.

volume4130

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2010, 06:49 AM »
the vexilar, like the same thing you use ice fishing?  never thought of that one...

BOULDERDASH

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2010, 09:21 AM »
I love  kayak fishing  it will get you access to places that other boats cant go.I also do alot of salt water fishing with mine in the bays and off the beach and large striper will tow you around  . I have had plenty of boats  and kayaks are great for the single guy/woman who wants to hit the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.