FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: downrigger ball to lure line-distance  (Read 8785 times)

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
downrigger ball to lure line-distance
« on: May 16, 2007, 12:48 PM »
hey, i was told by someone who i know catches a ton of big trout that he trolls with his lure following the downrigger close enough to be able to pick up the whole thing on his fishfinder;  he sees the ball and the lure going along at a steady depth, and then is able to see fish arch off the bottom and sometimes hit the lure.
   when the lure is within 8 or so feet of the ball, do you think the black ball might deter fish from hitting it?  because i saw fish arch up to the lure, but they wouldn't hit it.
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

Neptune

Re: downrigger ball to lure line-distance
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 05:01 PM »
I do this on occasion but usually it is when I am fishing moderate to deep...  Then I get the dodger showing up with it all back between 15 to 20 feet from the ball.

With regards to the ball spooking the fish.... I don't know if I buy it!  I run stackers on my riggers and I have had way more strikes on lures directly off the ball than on the stacked lines.  I also have reflective mylar on the fins of my downrigger balls so mayber that helps....  I don't know...

I'm going to invest in an underwater camera that hooks to the downrigger cable here in the next couple weeks just to see what it all looks like down there....I'll let you know if I see fish zooming in and zooming out like they've been spooked...

Good Fishing!

Scientist

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 12:52 PM »
I'm going to invest in an underwater camera that hooks to the downrigger cable here in the next couple weeks just to see what it all looks like down there....I'll let you know if I see fish zooming in and zooming out like they've been spooked...
I bought the underwater camera for the downrigger and thought it was a waste of money because the lure had to be about 5 feet behind the ball. After two trips returned it for a better sonar because could not see much 60 feet down. The sonar picked up the lure and all the fish in the water column. I could even mark the fish following the lure before they hit it. The water clarity and the light penetration is necessary for the camera to give you the results necessary. The camera is great in the Caribbean but it did not suit the lakes I fish in.

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2007, 04:29 AM »
Bottomdweller,
What type of trout are you targeting?  I assume it's lakers, in which case a close connection can be accomplished fishing deep or in turbid waters...

I had luck with lakers on lake Superior fishing in 200 ft.  with the lure back 3 ft. from the clip  I'd bounce the ball off of the bottom and stir up the mud on occasion.  That's the only time I had any real luck with a small drop back of lures on a ball, (besides salmon fishing.)  I came to the conclusion that the depth didn't effect the lakers ability to pick off lures with a short drop back due to the low visibility.  I even fished with a pro troll flasher attached to the ball and the lure attached 3 ft. above the rigger ball on a stacker clip, (to limit the drag while fighting fish.

Never had such luck fishing lakers in all of the lakes fished throughout the country including lakes in Washington, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ontario, and throughout my home state of Alaska.  Too clear for fishing close to the clip, and the ball or wire seemed to spook the fish from the lure. 

I actually would advise the opposite approach to downrigging trout.  Dropping your lure / flasher combo far enough back to make it appear unassociated with the rigger ball and or boat for that matter.  This method seems to produce more fish FOR ME in cold clear lakes.   Hope this makes your question clear as mud!  :D 

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2007, 06:59 AM »
thanks barley - yeah, lakers are my target - i'm jigging for them in the shallows now, but when they start going deep i'll start using my downrigger and lead-core a little - thanks again for the advice

Thestanimal

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2007, 11:06 AM »
What are you guys using for fish finders.  I can't pick up the ball with mine and I'm in the market to buy a new one.
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2007, 04:52 PM »
What are you guys using for fish finders.  I can't pick up the ball with mine and I'm in the market to buy a new one.
EAGLE FISHMARK 480 -  $250 tops, best quality for the best price=best value.  when mine wears out i'll get another

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2007, 04:12 AM »
Bottomdweller,
I watched a video years back that "I think" was produced by In Fishermen.  One guide in your neck of the woods was jigging up some real sows!  Best of luck.

Thestanimal,  Did you try using your sensitivity feature to locate your rigger ball?  Many times I DON'T want to read the ball, just bait balls!  If you can adjust the sensitivity setting I'd think you'd be ok...  I had even located my balls with the use of an old eagle finder years back.  Err, let me rephrase that!  My DOWN rigger BallS!!!  Usually shows as a steady line, except in 4 ft. seas the line gets rather jagged.  I use an Alpelco and Furuno now, but wouldn't hesitate on a decent Lowrance. 

Neptune

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2007, 12:07 PM »
my HumminBird finds the rigger balls just fine and it will even say the flashers are fish if I have the sensitivity turned up too much...

Good Fishing!

Thestanimal

« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Thanks for the info guys-I'll give it a try in the morning

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2007, 06:40 PM »
Thanks for the info guys-I'll give it a try in the morning

did you buy a fishfinder?

Thestanimal

« Reply #11 on: Jun 19, 2007, 03:46 PM »
I adjusted the gain on my fishfinder and that did the trick-thanks for the help guys.  It makes a big difference when you know how deep your downrigger balls are at.  Thanks again.

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2007, 08:15 AM »
no problemo, seeenior

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.