FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Slow Season Thread  (Read 12057 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Slow Season Thread
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Take that junk over to that "other" site where it belongs.

:cursing:

Bob - ban his butt!!!!!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2018, 05:51 AM »
Nice size perch SM...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Mac, here is a fun subject to discuss... I want to put an I-Pilot equipped trolling motor on my boat and upgrade my sonar to something with the Link that will let me operate the trolling motor. I want to use it to troll/autopilot in conjunction with my 4 stroke kicker. I think you use this, Mac? What is this going to cost me? I need it to last all day (two days off grid if possible) My boat is 21 feet and about 4000lbs, so I am thinking a 24v with 80lbs of thrust is good enough?

seamonkey84

« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2018, 09:58 PM »
Take that junk over to that "other" site where it belongs.

:cursing:

Bob - ban his butt!!!!!
Should I lay down some AstroTurf first next time? Sorry, just had to  ;D
Really though, it’s awfully quiet on this board, do we not have as many southern members or does the winter really slow down the fishing in the subtropical zone.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Mac Attack

« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2018, 10:41 PM »
Mac, here is a fun subject to discuss... I want to put an I-Pilot equipped trolling motor on my boat and upgrade my sonar to something with the Link that will let me operate the trolling motor. I want to use it to troll/autopilot in conjunction with my 4 stroke kicker. I think you use this, Mac? What is this going to cost me? I need it to last all day (two days off grid if possible) My boat is 21 feet and about 4000lbs, so I am thinking a 24v with 80lbs of thrust is good enough?

Not enough with 24v IMHO
I use a 24 on my 1650 Lund Rebel XL
Go with 36v
You will be far happier.
And get the largest batteries you can fit.
Better yet, go even larger and make them fit!!!
And get the minn Kota onboard charger for them - its the best for the batteries.  Not cheap, but neither is smoking a set of deep cycle batteries cause the charger took a dump.

Mac Attack

« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2018, 10:43 PM »
Should I lay down some AstroTurf first next time? Sorry, just had to  ;D
Really though, it’s awfully quiet on this board, do we not have as many southern members or does the winter really slow down the fishing in the subtropical zone.

In 2.5 yrs there will be one more southern member.

8)

Yea, it slows down here in the winter.
Start a thread
I’ll read it

And give you crap if I disagree

Lol

Jethro

« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Not enough with 24v IMHO
I use a 24 on my 1650 Lund Rebel XL
Go with 36v
You will be far happier.
And get the largest batteries you can fit.
Better yet, go even larger and make them fit!!!
And get the minn Kota onboard charger for them - its the best for the batteries.  Not cheap, but neither is smoking a set of deep cycle batteries cause the charger took a dump.

Well, that adds a grand or more to the setup, that's for sure. But I kind of knew that would be the case.

Mac Attack

« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:41 AM »
Well, that adds a grand or more to the setup, that's for sure. But I kind of knew that would be the case.

Geoff - it's like everything.
You know!
If you really want to do this right...………
(remember our kicker discussions?)

I have FOUR deep cycle batteries wired in series parallel feeding 24v to mine to get the duration on the water.
I originally had all 4 up front but it was too much weight.
Last year I moved 2 to the stern and it rode better.
I have a 3 bank charger from Lund handling the starting battery and the original 2 deep cycle batteries.
Then I had another I bought go bad and smoke my 2nd set of deep cycles.
So I had to buy 2 more and was convinced by others to go with the Minn Kota 2 bank to avoid anymore battery destruction.
I have a Honda 8hp 4-stroke kicker that does most of the work.
But I troll on Erie.
The wind and the waves really make that Minn Kota work.
I know others say they go all day, but they are on inland lakes.
The ipilot isn't constantly adjusting.
When it's glass out on Erie, I can go 2 days.
But when it's rough and windy, I need all 4 batteries just to get 6-7 hrs of trolling.

When I move to Florida in 2 yrs I will be setting up a pontoon with one.
I'm looking at these -

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/srm-4d?productLine=marine&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true

And you can bet I'll have a Minn Kota charger too.

Here is my setup now -

Jethro

« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Mac, what model trolling motor do you have? And is it worth it to make sure I get the I-pilot with link and a compatible head unit or just skip the link setup? I don't exactly need a new sonar but if it's worth it I will upgrade that at the same time.

zwiggles

« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Mac, what model trolling motor do you have? And is it worth it to make sure I get the I-pilot with link and a compatible head unit or just skip the link setup? I don't exactly need a new sonar but if it's worth it I will upgrade that at the same time.

We have a minkota with ipilot that does not link with the fish finder. It would be nice to have, but you can still set and record routes with just the remote.

Jethro

« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2018, 07:36 AM »
We have a minkota with ipilot that does not link with the fish finder. It would be nice to have, but you can still set and record routes with just the remote.

It looks like after all is said and done, the I-link is the least of the expense, so I guess I will get it. My next question is regarding the battery charger... when you wire 2 batteries in parallel, does that use a single bank of the charger or do you want a bank for each battery? Like if I get a 36v and want the run time, do I wire 6 batteries and have a 3 bank charger or is that a 6 bank charger (probably two 3 bank chargers)?

I really can't imagine dealing with 6 deep cycles and one cranking battery... that's going to be close to 900 lbs of batteries alone and holy cow, lotta money.

Mac Attack

« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:03 AM »
It looks like after all is said and done, the I-link is the least of the expense, so I guess I will get it. My next question is regarding the battery charger... when you wire 2 batteries in parallel, does that use a single bank of the charger or do you want a bank for each battery? Like if I get a 36v and want the run time, do I wire 6 batteries and have a 3 bank charger or is that a 6 bank charger (probably two 3 bank chargers)?

I really can't imagine dealing with 6 deep cycles and one cranking battery... that's going to be close to 900 lbs of batteries alone and holy cow, lotta money.

yup - lots of weight.

You can charge 2 batteries in parallel with one charger but it's best to use 2 chargers, or a charger's 2 independent "banks".
The chargers are the least contributing factor to the weight anyways.

My suggestion is to go with the 36 VDC motor and 3 of the largest batteries you can fit someplace on the boat.
And then see how this works before you add another 3 batteries.

Get a decent 3 bank charger with a quick turn around on charge time.
Like this Minn Kota 3-bank 15 amp unit -

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/battery-chargers/board-precision-chargers?id=13976

This will allow you to go in and recharge at lunch or mid day.
If it takes all night to recharge............
I went through all of this.
With my trips up north, we came in for lunch and a dinner.
We fished early morning till lunch, another quick trip out in the afternoon and then a 3rd after dinner for the nigh bite.
The higher amp charger allowed me grab a quick charge and keep fishing.

Use your kick as much as possible.
Use the electric to steer.
With higher winds and waves, this means more out of the electric.
So try to troll with the winds and waves as much as possible.
I know - sometimes the fish want things pulled against the wind and waves, but you know what I mean.
Use your kicker to do the majority of the work.

I don't have link.
Just ipilot.
But I use Lowrance, so link won't hook up anyway.
However, when I go down to Florida I might consider this because of the greater amount of contour fishing maybe.
We'll see.
On open water I simply feel link is not needed.
But that's me.
Others might feel different.

Mac Attack

« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:04 AM »
I have a terova with ipilot

When I go to Florida I will get a ulterra
I'm getting older and softer you know.
 8)

Jethro

« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2018, 12:33 PM »
My suggestion is to go with the 36 VDC motor and 3 of the largest batteries you can fit someplace on the boat.
And then see how this works before you add another 3 batteries.

That's a good plan. I have two dedicated, pre-wired locations that will take group 34 size batteries. The 3rd I will find a way to put in the forward locker.

Mac Attack

« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2018, 01:38 PM »
34's are too small Geoff.
Typically only 125 (RC) Min @ 25 Amp

Look for something at least 200

Look at 29's - they are 210

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.