FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best line  (Read 14246 times)

wormwigglr

best line
« on: Apr 13, 2005, 03:26 PM »
just bought a new and my first ultra light for trout mostly to cast spinners with. never used anything but a fly rod before and i figure i should try something new. so i was wondering what type of line(in the 2 or 4lb area) you spinning fisherman use and find the most success with. i want to know what type has the fewest tangles, the visibility, diameter?

UPSTATE

Re: best line
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2005, 03:42 PM »
 My favorite is berkley vanish 4 # i have nothing bad to say about it
just tryin to get her done

kkbait

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2005, 04:22 PM »
Berkley Trilene XL works great for me

wormwigglr

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2005, 04:30 PM »
are you using the clear or the green trilene?

kkbait

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2005, 05:50 PM »
I use clear

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2005, 05:57 PM »
on my ultralight i like 4lb xl or xt (depending on the stream) but i just tried the new vanish transition, and it rocks!!  I will be using that from now on for trout.

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2005, 07:09 PM »
I use Bekley trilene XL 4 lb test.  Just caught some nice rainbows a few hours ago.  Lost some more on it though to really have to let the fish run and not put to much pressure on them.
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

devil-man

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2005, 06:00 AM »
4# Sensation for me.
I have tried 2# Vanish and 4# Transition, and found that I don't like casting with flourocarbon. It seems to fall off the spool too easily and has always given me something to b!tch about.

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2005, 07:59 AM »
I prefer 4# Trilene XL in low vis green, but I've also used plain old Stren.  For smaller streams, I've never found the need to use any of the special lines to catch fish.
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

Hood

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2005, 06:16 PM »
I use Berkley XT, it has great abrasion resistance and thats key when your line is soo thin to begin with.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

cnyfishing

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2005, 06:34 PM »
4Lb trilene
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2005, 09:29 PM »
Well, I use 6 lb. test, had too many breakoffs with 4 lb., but I doubt you'll be tangling with many 10 pound trout like here on the colorado river because I'm assuming your fishing a small stream. For 4 lb. test, I would use stren original. All I know is trilene XT is the strongest, but it tangles after a trip or two very bad, and trilene XL can be broken by a tiny fish. It is very weak. So I use stren, lasts well, is moderately strong, casts fine, and is low visibility. And, although this isn't related to line, I believe curly tail grubs outfish spinners many fold. If you use a spinner, stick to panther martins or blue fox vibrax. On a small stream a #4 panther martin is perfect, going any smaller than that is unnecessary. I use #15 panther martins regularly for big trout. But like I said, try the curly tails, swing them in the current, then bounce them back to you. You wont go back to spinners. Just trying to help!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2005, 10:11 PM »
All I know is trilene XT is the strongest, but it tangles after a trip or two very bad, and trilene XL can be broken by a tiny fish. It is very weak.

i gotta completely disagree on both counts, but maybe fishing line even behaves differently in colorado :laugh:

Hood

« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2005, 01:36 AM »
XT is great, any line will tangle if you do not spool it right....ever heard of wet-packing your line?
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

devil-man

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2005, 04:33 AM »
i gotta completely disagree on both counts, but maybe fishing line even behaves differently in colorado :laugh:

LMAO!
I'm going to try the curly tail grubs, TFB.
Do you use smaller-sized ones on a jig?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.