FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fiddleheads  (Read 1561 times)

joefishmore

Fiddleheads
« on: Apr 29, 2021, 06:15 AM »
Son picked 5 lbs yesterday

hardwatergrampa

Re: Fiddleheads
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2021, 07:38 PM »
do you need help eating them

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2021, 07:11 AM »
Fiddleheads and fresh trout sounds really good right about now!

swnoel

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2021, 07:32 AM »
I'd never picked any or for that matter seen any where I live. Do they grow in the woods or along streams, rivers , or swamps? I might try to find some...

Darby

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2021, 08:20 AM »
I have a friend that is going North next weekend to pick some in the Forks area.  I like them, but to drive almost 2 hours in a 3/4 ton truck one way ($60 in gas), spend the whole day (equates to a day against my fishing/hunting allowance :laugh:) doesn't seem worth it, when I can buy them for $5 per pound.  That, and I'd probably pick the ferns that make you sick by mistake.  That said, I can't wait for steak tips, grilled potatoes, grilled onion, and fresh fiddleheads.  If you've never tried it, my favorite way to eat a Vidalia onion, cut a hole in the end of the onion, about half way down and an inch across, put in a dab of butter, a beef bullion cube, another dab of butter, wrap in tin foil, and put on grill (medium heat) for 30 minutes.  literally melts in your mouth.

Steve H.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2021, 08:27 AM »
I like them, but to drive almost 2 hours in a 3/4 ton truck one way ($60 in gas), spend the whole day (equates to a day against my fishing/hunting allowance :laugh:) doesn't seem worth it, when I can buy them for $5 per pound.  That, and I'd probably pick the ferns that make you sick by mistake.

Valid points.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

swnoel

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2021, 09:34 AM »
I have a friend that is going North next weekend to pick some in the Forks area.  I like them, but to drive almost 2 hours in a 3/4 ton truck one way ($60 in gas), spend the whole day (equates to a day against my fishing/hunting allowance :laugh:) doesn't seem worth it, when I can buy them for $5 per pound.  That, and I'd probably pick the ferns that make you sick by mistake.  That said, I can't wait for steak tips, grilled potatoes, grilled onion, and fresh fiddleheads.  If you've never tried it, my favorite way to eat a Vidalia onion, cut a hole in the end of the onion, about half way down and an inch across, put in a dab of butter, a beef bullion cube, another dab of butter, wrap in tin foil, and put on grill (medium heat) for 30 minutes.  literally melts in your mouth.

LOL... pretty sure you're smarter than pick other than the ostrich fern. Even though I've never seen any around where I live, they sure don't look like the fuzzy ones most of us see tromping around.

woodchip1

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2021, 11:46 AM »
I planted Ostrich ferns at my yard 60 years ago  and now i pick all i want with lots left over and no gas expence any more.

SilverSides

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 11:58 AM »
I picked a 5 gallon pail full on Saturday. That"s a wrap for this year as most were 2 feet tall

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.