FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Carp Chronicles  (Read 14034 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Big Carp Chronicles
« on: May 15, 2021, 08:38 AM »
Thought I’d share some carp pics. I’ve been learning Euro style carping the past few years and I’m finally having some success.
Yesterday from the boat.

Last night I put out a pound or so of boiled feed corn in an area of the canal with really nice bank access. Went down at 5:am this morning. Shot out some pack bait and  canned sweet corn. ( I made a bait launching sling shot that works great)
A nice 10-12 lb.

This one was probably my PB. I had a devil of a time lifting it out of the water. Had to be 25+ ( I’m buying a scale and weighing sling)

Another in the 15 lb range.

I’m using a pack bait made from Panko, whole corn and strawberry Jello with the liquid from the corn and a little water to make a nice packable mix.On a hair rig I put 2 kernels of boiled field corn and 1   Silicone imitation kernel. The boiled corn is soaked in pure vanilla and water. I also add a smear of ProCure Gel Corn scent.

I caught all three fish on the same bait. Meaning I didn’t change or add to that bait at all for 3 big fish. The little fish kept nibbling on the hair rig but couldn’t get anything off of it.

I’m using bank sticks I made with Lixada bite alarms and I bought myself a super comfy bank chair from Wally World.

The rod I’m using is an Ugly Stick 8’ heavy catfish rod. The reel is a reasonably priced Quantum Optix Qx 40 with about 200 yds of 30 lb Spyder Wire Easy Braid.

Never thought I’d need anything this heavy but these fish are brutes. I’m sure I’m going to tear up the reel and have my eye on a Penn salt water bait runner reel.

For weight I’m using 20-66 gram method feeders. They’re a sliding weight that I can fill with pack bait above the hair rig.  The hair rig caught all 3 fish in the lower right corner of the lip. I can’t explain why it was always the right side, but it was.

It’s taken me some time to get this style of fishing down and I’ve had many a skeptical day. But done right it works like nothing else I’ve ever attempted for big carp.

If anyone wants any info just let me know. Until then I’ll keep posting my successes and failures.

Carpe diem !

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Big Carp Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 10:24 AM »
Yeah, I never did understand just shooting them. What a waste.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 07:49 AM »
Another fine morning carpin’

6 in 3 hours. Couple pretty big ones and the rest are average .....I guess. There was one piece of log I was trying to pull in with a rope and some weight but I couldn’t get ahold of it. The first carp took care of it for me. It went straight for it and wrapped it up. Got the carp and the log all at once. Thank heavens for 30 lb braid.

I’ve decided to go buy a collapsible cart. I’m getting too old to carry all the stuff I’m using. Used to be able to drive right to the area I’m fishing, but the town did a major  clearing along the shoreline and now prohibit any motor vehicles.

Just as well anyway. They did a really nice job and the local rednecks used to tear up the grass doing doughnuts. The slobs used to trash the place with litter too. Don’t see any of that now either.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 09:04 AM »
Didn’t take long to find a nice cart.

Should work out well. I’ll find out in the morning.

Rg

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 10:49 AM »
I like the cart and the carp!

Where did you get the cart? It looks slick.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 12:22 PM »
Walmart. They have two or  three types. This one has the wide wheels and is the biggest. $70.  Couldn’t  build one for that.

Made an attachment for the rod and bite alarm. Everything is in the car for the morning. Won’t be able to fish this spot for much longer. The weeds will take over and I’ll move back to the boat or some other shore spots.

The fish are a riot. My arms are a bit sore.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 06:36 AM »
Good, bad and ugly today.
The good!👍
Managed one football of a carp.

The cart worked great.

The Bad!🤬
The rod holder looked great but didn’t work well. Too short and presented too much tension on a bite. Had 4 dropped bites. Back to the bank sticks for now.

The ugly👎
Then I had a good run and set the hook only to snap off my whole rig. Had a pretty good hang up yesterday and forgot to re-tie the rig.

Can’t win them all.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 07:09 AM »
Decent morning carpin’. Tried a couple different rigs that were suggested on YouTube. Nothing worked as well as my original setup.
  Couple of male torpedos.

Another football female.

The males were really hard fighters. Took off like freight trains. Ordered some hooks and setup materials to make my own hair rigs. I’m using some store bought right now.

Bank sticks worked way better that the rod holder I tried for the cart. I’ll end up with a rod pod of some sort eventually. They’ll get into the spawn pretty soon. The females are bursting with eggs. When that happens I’ll switch over to catfish again.

Fun morning anyway.

Rg

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 07:40 AM »
great info   thanks for  posts, i love carpinn in spring and summer with grandkids cant beat it for sure , theyve lost quite a few poles over the years. lol when they really get rippin i put a run away chunk of clothes line from their pole to their chair, cause they seem to have a tendency to loose interest , and when the bite happens gives em a few seconds to get there without loosing equipment. ..   once again thanks for post , goodluck and enjoy the CARP,,, nothin like it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 03:36 PM »
Just a short attention span. Great way to teach kids what a big fish feels like.

Good Grandpa!!

Rg

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 04:42 PM »
Yeah, I never did understand just shooting them. What a waste.

Rg

It was initially because some "geniuses" thought they were invasive and destructive.
Well, they may not be true "native" fish, but they are far less destructive than any other non-native fish or aquatic transplants (plant, fish, crustacean or shellfish).
No offense to bow anglers, but to me it looks more like what someone who can't fish would do.
Carp fishing, if nothing else, teaches you what patience in fishing is like......and then you get a strike and you get that rush!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 04:43 PM »
Way to go Bob.   👍👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 05:40 PM »
They’re a terrific game fish that take a good bit of learning to catch consistently. Well worth the effort for me anyway.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 05:45 PM »
Nice catching RG, looks like fun, I'll have to give it a go one of these days with my grandson.   

filetandrelease

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 05:49 PM »

Well done looks like fun
 They do fight hard

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.