FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Clam Farmer.....we are going to be rich!!! PERCH!!!  (Read 5339 times)

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
Clam Farmer.....we are going to be rich!!! PERCH!!!
« on: Jun 21, 2021, 01:27 PM »
Saturday I was trolling a popular lake for salmon and brookies  a few hrs from home. We came down a shoreline in about 40’ fow and came up on a small bar with 12-13’ on top. We landed three nice yellow perch in three passes. Later that day my wife and grandson wanted to “just regular fish not troll” as my grandson says. So we went back and anchored up. In a hr we filled a bucket until they started flipping out. We went in and cut 6-7 lbs out of what we had.
The next day we decided to smack them. We fished for 3 hrs not moving from the same anchor spot and filled three buckets. I put them in my live well after they were dead and turned the pump on to clean the slim off of them.
Later we put 7 bags of ice in them and drove home. I made some fish tacos today and they were excellent.
As you know in NY and other areas they get $13-14 lb for perch fillets. Maybe it’s time to open a fish cutting house and capitalize on the resource that’s available along the fish river chain up north.

Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

filetandrelease

Re: Clam Farmer.....we are going to be rich!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2021, 02:56 PM »

Nice fish scalloper , here in NY they are highly sought after

Scalloper

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2021, 04:30 PM »
I was very impressed. There were just as many when we left as there were when we arrived, maybe more. The screen kept showing more and more pulling 8-12 right to the surface when we reeled one in. Thats a very heathly unexploited fishery.
I still have no idea why 95% of Mainers consider YP trash fish  ::)

Scalloper

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2021, 04:37 PM »
In 3 hrs my wife filleted all 174. Oddly she enjoys filleting fish and she is very good at it. I have had a Sun Bean elect fillet knife for probably 20+ years. It gets very hot during long uses but it works. She is doing such a nice job I am doing research on a new cordless and maybe a nice portable fillet table.  8)

Scalloper

Re: Clam Farmer.....we are going to be rich!!! PERCH!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2021, 05:32 PM »
19.25 lbs of fillets

Scalloper

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2021, 07:52 PM »
I was very impressed. There were just as many when we left as there were when we arrived, maybe more. The screen kept showing more and more pulling 8-12 right to the surface when we reeled one in. Thats a very heathly unexploited fishery.
I still have no idea why 95% of Mainers consider YP trash fish  ::)

They are definitely not a trash fish as far as fun to catch and eating, but they are murder on naturally reproducing brook trout. Brook trout have a hard time competing with this non-native prolific species.

As a taxidermist in Indiana (now retiring) I got a couple of big ones in once via a honeymooning couple fishing on Moosehead Lake, Maine. Just like you they said they could have filled the boat with them. They said they boated about 50 and got worried they were catching over the bag limit. They went to shore and someone told them there was no limit and to catch them all!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

CF

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2021, 05:29 AM »
Hey Doug, I may be able to find market for them. Volume and regular supply would be the issue, along with transport. Might be fun to work on it! Are they “clean” ie grub free? Please, if possible let me know where I can geo on them. Might be a new hard water destination. Might take a day off this summer to whack a few. Gonna try my little MDI spot this week, when the tides come around.  :bowdown: :thumbup_smilie: :flag:
Formerly CLAMFARMER

swnoel

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2021, 06:36 AM »
 I heard and I'm not sure if it's true, that the reason NH put on a limit of spiny fish was because an out of stater was selling them commercially.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2021, 06:42 AM »
Drop some off at my house... ;) ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2021, 06:59 AM »

Scalloper

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2021, 08:21 AM »
Hey Doug, I may be able to find market for them. Volume and regular supply would be the issue, along with transport. Might be fun to work on it! Are they “clean” ie grub free? Please, if possible let me know where I can geo on them. Might be a new hard water destination. Might take a day off this summer to whack a few. Gonna try my little MDI spot this week, when the tides come around.  :bowdown: :thumbup_smilie: :flag:
I was fishing Long Lake Sinclair. We (my wife  :D) filleted 211 and there was only about 1.5 lbs that had dots in the fillets. We did not notice a single grub. I will do some research but I think I read where it is legal to sell yellow perch in Maine. I am sure if someone set up a small buying station and provided ice (very important) the volume and supply would be available. Can they be shipped whole iced?
I am told all of the lakes within the Fish River chain of lakes are over populated with YP. As was mentioned above, the YP compete directly with native brookies. A commercial harvest should help the brookie population within the watershed. From what I saw 2-3 guys should have no problem boating 4-500 lbs a day of YP 9-12" with 10% 13-14"

woodchip1

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2021, 08:25 AM »
  I wish most of the lakes i fish had better feed so they would grow bigger.Adult yellow perch feed on larger zooplankton, insects, young crayfish, snails, aquatic insects, fish eggs, and small fish, including the young of their own species.

Scalloper

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2021, 11:05 AM »
i knew a guy scared of those black speck grubs.  he used a syringe(from his turkey injector), without needle on it, to suck the specks out of the meat.  then and only then would he eat it. lol 

those are some nice perch.  be trophies around here.
How common are the black dots in the fillets in your area? I tried doing a search to see what they were.

CF

« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2021, 11:45 AM »
A commercial harvest should help the brookie population within the watershed. From what I saw 2-3 guys should have no problem boating 4-500 lbs a day of YP 9-12" with 10% 13-14"

A while ago, some guys got trap net permits from IFW for YP. I think you still can but the lakes are limited where the nets can be used and it’s through the ice only, I believe.
Apparently, they had truck loads of them sold at first. Then it came to a screening halt once the yellow grub was seen in most of the catch. THE END!

LONG LAKE, 6000 ACRES! Good sized lake. LONG RIDE from Hancock!!! It would be interesting to know if the rest of the chain has perch similar. Also, Finding lakes with populations like that and grub free would be good for consistent catches and market stability. HMMM, I know some fish wholesale guys. I’ll do some research. I hate winter clamming, except on nice days.  ;). Might be a good way to ride around the state catching fish and making a few $.

Oh yeah, yellow perch, crappie, suckers, bullheads (horn pout), pike, catfish (I believe) and a few others are salable in Maine. You can’t sell white perch. Given NY and a few other states now have limits on YP catches. there may well be an opportunity here.

I don’t think this place has a commercially large enough population.

Formerly CLAMFARMER

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.