FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NYS Canal system may not open...  (Read 9516 times)

indianahooker

Re: NYS Canal system may not open...
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2020, 01:52 PM »
the left wants to shut everything down to make current officials look as bad as they can. a lot of the so called rules do absolutly nothing to help the cause.  this entire thing has been blown way out of proportion!  the more left the state officials are the worse it is. 

I just wonder how many fish died during this fiasco...didn't understand how not working on the locks during shutdown made any sense since most of the work is outside and rarely see more than 1 or 2 workers at a time...unnecessary!
Just my 2cents and I'm sticking to it!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2020, 02:22 PM »
We'll be that as it may.....there's no shortage of fish in the canal. At its lowest point I could walk across in hip boots. The fishing has been really good the past month. I caught perch in the 1.5 lb range and gills as big as my hand.....2xl.

One largemouth I caught was well over 3 lbs. and  bullhead approaching 2 lbs. There are no crappies in the canal.....they all died.....yup......all dead!

This canal has been filled and emptied for more than 100 years. The fish are still there.

I'm looking forward to launching my boat tomorrow morning. And happy the lock attendants are back to work.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2020, 08:37 AM »
Maiden voyage on the canal this morning. All good! Except for all the crap floating in the water. Made some timing adjustments to the motor and it ran better than it ever has. Car towed the boat with no effort.

Fish didn't cooperate, but....I'm on the water!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2020, 11:11 AM »
Maiden voyage on the canal this morning. All good! Except for all the crap floating in the water. Made some timing adjustments to the motor and it ran better than it ever has. Car towed the boat with no effort.

Fish didn't cooperate, but....I'm on the water!

Rg

Did you use the new finder?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Yes I did. Had to make a couple adjustments to depth and sensitivity. But it's a pretty sweet little finder. Very crisp and bright. I'm not convinced that recording speed over ground by gps is very accurate relative to intended trolling speeds. Didn't play with the plotter at all. No need on the canal.

Weather will be a lot nicer next week. Cooler daytime temps. I'll head to Honeoye or Canandiagua and give it a workout.

Overall, for the money and given my small boat....nice finder.
Rg

lowaccord66

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2020, 01:19 PM »
Thats good to know RG, you may need to adjust the map speed a bit to match if that's an option.  (It is on some)

I have a kit to install my echomap and panoptix on the boat from my ice kit but haven't gotten around to it yet.

OneBucketMike

• OneBucketMike
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2020, 09:52 PM »
We'll be that as it may.....there's no shortage of fish in the canal. At its lowest point I could walk across in hip boots. The fishing has been really good the past month. I caught perch in the 1.5 lb range and gills as big as my hand.....2xl.

One largemouth I caught was well over 3 lbs. and  bullhead approaching 2 lbs. There are no crappies in the canal.....they all died.....yup......all dead!

This canal has been filled and emptied for more than 100 years. The fish are still there.

I'm looking forward to launching my boat tomorrow morning. And happy the lock attendants are back to work.

Rg

Wonder why we don't ice fish it more?
One Bucket Mike

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2020, 02:30 AM »
I ice fished the Port Gibson section for many years. Always had a lot of fun there. I'm going to get my walk in and go hunt for some crappies with the fly rod.....if there's not too much stuff  floating around.

Rg

Doorbreaker

« Reply #53 on: Jun 23, 2020, 03:00 PM »
I hope they get a crew out just East of E-15 in Fort Plain to dredge the crud out. At the moment there is a real nice rock/sandbar out of the Otsquagao creek that spans most of the river to within about 15 feet of the northern bank. Even with the river full it will be less than 3 feet under the water across most of the river. That could be interesting if a deep draft boat comes along!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #54 on: Jun 23, 2020, 03:21 PM »
I was down by  Utica over the weekend and  went over d**e Rd over the canal and its bone dry.  Well almost its only 3' across of water...
 That rd also goes over the river and that looked low also...
 Its not till Frankfort harbor where the river and canal merge again.   
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #55 on: Jun 23, 2020, 03:32 PM »
Thats D Y K E. Rd..  as in something to hold back water....  8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #56 on: Jun 23, 2020, 04:22 PM »
It's full from the genesee to Lyons here. Don't know about beyond that. Still no traffic through the locks.

Rg

pieman1998

« Reply #57 on: Jun 24, 2020, 04:03 AM »
lock 8 is close and filling :D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #58 on: Jun 24, 2020, 06:39 AM »
Had a talk with the Lock 30 Lockmaster yesterday. He said they plan on opening July 4 if all goes well. Not too sure what that means but, hopefully they'll be on schedule.

The marina down the road from me has a dozen Packett boats ready and waiting. Losing 2 months of rentals has to hurt a small business like theirs. Those boats run $2500 a week and they're usually booked a year in advance.

Rg

old man river

« Reply #59 on: Jun 25, 2020, 01:01 PM »

ARTICLE  in the NY OUTDOOR NEWS PAPER
Dated   JUNE 12,2020 on page 5
      canal system to reopen
states around July 5 th for some openings
gives dates and locks
well have wait and see
Could Be FAKE NEWS HA HA  ;D ??? ::).
ralph

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum