FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Holter and the mystery Kokes???  (Read 3066 times)

Neptune

Holter and the mystery Kokes???
« on: Apr 16, 2007, 11:10 AM »
Was talking with a MT FWP biologist on Saturday about the Kokanee that use to be in Hauser(sp) res. about 10-12 years ago.  Wondering where they went and he told me that the big snow back in '96-'97 sent them over the dam and down into Holter... 

Do any of you Central district guys fish for Kokes in Holter?  I've heard it is more of a watersport  lake not alot of fishing pressure(same biologist told me this)....

Good Fishing!

FishN4Eyes

Re: Holter and the mystery Kokes???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Holter occasionally spits out a kokanee now and again, but nothing like it used to be.   Hauser and Holter used to be unbelievable kokanee fisheries in the late 80's and early 90's, but it just hasn't been the same since about '95, I'd guess.

Not sure who you talked to about Holter, but I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as a water sports lake, the fishing is very good most of the year.

Excellent rainbow fishing year-around and the walleye fishing is great after the spawn, usually from Memorial Day to ice-up.  Already been a couple good ones caught this spring but walleye fishing is likely to be slow from now until the end of May while the spawn is in progress.

Thanks for all the good reports from the NW, Neptune, you seem to file them quite regularly and I know enjoy reading about the Kalispell area, although I don't get to fish there much more than a time or two a year.

Good luck fishing and look forward to your reports.

Neptune

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2007, 03:10 PM »
Thanks FishN4Eyes, for the coments and the compliments...  Have you tried fishing for Kokes on Holter much?

I will keep the reports coming, hopefully others(such as yourself) will do the same for your area.

I'm hard pressed to believe that the Kokes just dissapeared out of Hauser....  It use to be normal to catch those babys between 2 and 4lbs on a regular basis.  They were big enough and stong enough to pull a full set of pop gear out of the water when they went airborn.  We used to call it the "Acrobatic Release", because 9 out of 10 times they were gone if they went airborn with all that gear.  Wedding ring spinner would come flying back at you....those were the days!   ;D

Good Fishing!

FishN4Eyes

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2007, 06:15 PM »
Neptune,

Sounds like I wasn't telling you anything you don't already know.

Man, it used to be fun night-fishing for those buggers.

Can't beat the eating either.

I have a cabin on Holter so I'm out there all the time.  Admittedly, I don't target kokes, but I just haven't heard of many folks catching them consistently.

Been busy doing the "honey-do" things the last couple weekends, but I'm hoping to head to Holter this weekend and will drop a report if I make it.

Take it easy and keep whacking those macks!

Neptune

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2007, 11:06 PM »
Thanks again FishN4Eyes!

Hope to make it out to Canyon Ferry and that area this summer at least once.  Maybe I should come visit you up at Holter and you can teach me how to catch those "Walleyed Pike", I've never fished for them before...

Good Fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.