FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Saratoga Lake  (Read 4471 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Saratoga Lake
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2018, 02:38 PM »
Sounds good Tom!

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2018, 03:17 PM »

Thanks Tom , I only eat the smaller ones out of Oneida , I toss the bigger ones back ,
  I have noticed some waters they do taste a little different , I don’t care for eyes out of lake Ontario , best eyes ive ever ate came from black lake , , , just my .02

Swampking89

« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2018, 03:23 PM »
Apples to apples,walleyes can't be beat(except perch and pannies)

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Apples to apples,walleyes can't be beat(except perch and pannies)

A well cared for slab of blackfish is definelty a contender!

rondog

« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:30 PM »
I don't know about that.  I'm having some vacumn sealed Sacandaga walleye tonight :w00t:  Do you still want some garlic?  It's time to plant that if the ground isn't too wet.  I put mine in this week and have lots left to eat and plant.
I'll call you tomorrow

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2018, 03:24 PM »
What  " certain algae and bacteria  " are we talking about? The lake gets like this every year for a few weeks do you think this would have an effect on the taste of the fish fro the remainder of the year?

Here's a good read that may apply to not only aquaculture waters but public waters too. In fact I know it does as I have a friend that identifies them for a living in water samples sent to him. The following is probably more than you want to know but...

https://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/fisheries/files/2013/09/SRAC-Publication-No.-192-Managing-Off-Flavor-Problems-in-Pond-Raised-Catfish.pdf

As far as the rest of the year I would assume it depends on if the culprits are still present albeit in diluted form, and if that lesser amount still has an effect.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2018, 05:39 PM »
A well cared for slab of blackfish is definelty a contender!

sea bass too
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:08 PM »
sea bass too

Like those too! 

Cecil, that made for interesting reading.  Sadly we suffer from blue green in some CT lakes.  One of which got so bad there was a health advisory. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:13 AM »
X2 on the black fish fillets. In my opinion the absolute best tasting fish and best textured fish for fish and chips. Holds firm but yet flaky. Sea bass is tasty as well but much more of a "white fish".

We had 4 ponds in RI this year with blue green algae. sucks.

Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Like those too! 

Cecil, that made for interesting reading.  Sadly we suffer from blue green in some CT lakes.  One of which got so bad there was a health advisory.

That's a shame. Some blue greens can kill livestock and dogs drinking the water.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Oct 19, 2018, 06:25 PM »
It is.  No agriculture around either.  Just wealthy home owners and green lawns...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.