FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Where to go in the summer?  (Read 6064 times)

Big Burk

Where to go in the summer?
« on: Apr 13, 2006, 01:49 AM »
Where would you target these fish in the summer? Deeper areas with a rise then drop off? Flats? Shallow rocky areas?
i have only caught one in the summer while crayfishing by hand and with a net and it was in 1fot but it was only about 8in.
need help  ???

buzzbomb

Re: Where to go in the summer?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2006, 07:09 AM »
The only times I've caught them in summer it was off steep points adjacent to the deepest part of Last Mountain, (Fox's Point and Swanston's Point) and I only got 2 (about 3 pounds).  My neighbor at Pelican Pointe has caught a few while trolling for eyes down there but they were babies, like you said, only about 8" or less.  I'd try the point on the north side of Katepwa if I was you but don't blame me if you don't catch!  For some reason they just don't like to come out in the summer in this part of the world.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2006, 02:24 PM »
Along with what buzzbomb said I would also try in the evening and at night, they tend to be nocturnal hunters. For bait go with a large minnow, smelt or anchovy fished on the bottom. Try casting it out and letting it sit for a while, if nothing happens try slowly dragging it along the bottom.

Glow and or rattle jigs would help the fish locate your lure to. ;)

WW

buzzbomb

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2006, 05:50 PM »
That sounds like good advice, Rory, but why do you have luck with those methods and I don't?  I've only caught the 2 I mentioned in middle of summer, any others out of open water were taken in late fall when the water was cold and near the same areas.   I've spent a few nights trying to catch them in winter and found that they didn't bite - daytime was much better.  I remember the boys from Alaska posting pictures of big burbot taken at night, but it just didn't work for me in Sask.  Where were you getting them in summertime?

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2006, 01:21 PM »
Buzzbomb I haven't tried for burbot in the open water season but knowing a bit about there habits and what triggers them in winter my setup should work. I know that they can be caught on pickerel rigs and smelt or minnows in the Saskatchewan River so just apply the same basic set up to the area you want to fish.

I know That Apu Garcia has caught a few from shore, he would be a good guy to ask.

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.