FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wilson & Olcott Harbors report 5/14/06  (Read 1058 times)

fishryc

Wilson & Olcott Harbors report 5/14/06
« on: May 14, 2006, 07:49 AM »
Targeting perch as usual w/ emeralds; fished 5:30 to 8 splitting the time between the two harbors. Good size rollers coming into both harbors from the slightly gusty NNE winds off the mighty Lake Ontario. Both harbors saw any boats under 24 feet coming back in within a few minutes.
 Anyway, getting a bit late in the Lake Ontario trib perch season. Managed a few keepers over 10, but the throwback to keeper ratio was probably a dozen to one. Also hung some waxies under a slip-bob for the gills, but only took a couple small sunnies. A Wilson Harbor regular, Ed, enjoyed a 15 minute battle with pretty big 31 inch carp; also on an emerald.
 I see that the holding pens have been removed from the Harbor at Olcott; I heard unconfirmed info that they held 30,000 chinook this year. Did not see the usual scores of these 6 to 9 inch fingerlings jumping, though.  Probably a good thing too; last year saw (on several occasions, too) wingnuts targeting them. They were of course releasing the undersize pups, but will a high kill ratio. Lay low kids! It would be interesting to know how many make it to maturity and return to the creek. Some years see them pretty thick up the creek at Burt in their fall run. Any of you fisheries guys have some data?
S
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

devil-man

Re: Wilson & Olcott Harbors report 5/14/06
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Thanks for your reports, S. They are appreciated.
If I had any virtues I might have the patience...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.