FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mad River  (Read 1708 times)

BAZOOKAJOE

Mad River
« on: Jul 12, 2006, 08:41 AM »
What's the fishing like??  Species??  Techniques??  Have a relative that's new to the area...probably going to visit again soon.

Fish Farmer

Re: Mad River
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2006, 08:27 PM »
It's a trout river. It get stocked in the spring and I hear heats up the further north it flows. I only fished some of the headwaters streams for brookies and browns. The Mad is pretty open so flyfishing/spin fishing would work.

grasspikerel

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2006, 06:45 AM »
The river is managed for wild brookies, browns, and rainbows, as well as stocked rainbows.  The upper sections have the more consistant wild trout fishing and the fish are going to generally run small, like 4" to 8".  Lower down the river is often wide and shallow and the fishing gets spotty, but it will also have huge pools as well as larger stocked trout.  Sometimes snorkeling the big pools is a good way to find fish.  A lot of those pools will be used as swim holes.  Down by the mouth of the Winooski you may find smallmouths as well as trout.  A good place to look for big smallmouth bass nearby would be Waterbury Reservoir.  A good place for big trout would be the Winooski in Duxbury and Waterbury, such as in the trophy section.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2006, 10:47 AM »
Thanks guys!!  I've seen the swimmin' holes you're talkin 'bout.  I figured it wasn't banner fishing.  Someplace to make a few casts though. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.