FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: looking for walleye information  (Read 5304 times)

Mike G

looking for walleye information
« on: Apr 01, 2004, 09:10 AM »
I'm searching for info on the walleye season specifically in the Swanton (Swanton River) area of lake champlain.  My folks just purchased a cottage there and I haven't fished the that river in over 10 years.  Can't wait to get back there! 
Anyone know walleye season dates for that area?  I heard the river was closed to walleye fishing for a while.  Is it open now?  Any info would be appreciated.
Mike

Little Brown Dog

Re: looking for walleye information
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2004, 11:21 AM »
Walleye for Champlain and the lower portion of its tributaries goes from the first saturday in May to March 15th.  So, you'll have to wait till May.  They have to be 18" and you could keep 5.

Swanton River?  Do you mean the Missisquoi River that flows through Swanton?  If so, then Champlain regulation apply to 5120feet downstream of the Swanton Dam (Riverside Cemetery)

Mike G

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2004, 12:49 PM »
You are probably right - I might have the name wrong.
We always fished the Lemoile, but now the camp is further north. 
Do you know if the walleye's move into the rivers that early or is it best to wait until mid month that far north?
I'm thinking about heading west the weekend of the 22nd.
It's been so long that I feel like a kid again.  Sometimes I wish we had walleyes here in Maine.

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2004, 12:55 PM »
The season is closed to protect spawning walleye, so on opening day they will be headded back out to the main lake.  I know the Winooski and Lamoille get a lot of people fishing the first couple of weekends.  Some people even get their limits.  Don't know much about the Missisquoi though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.