FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Winter eyes on Erie  (Read 1423 times)

steelieatc

Winter eyes on Erie
« on: Dec 16, 2006, 10:21 PM »
anyone fishing for 'eyes in Erie? Wondering if they are in the shallows near Hamburg.

aquaman

• I,ll be home before dark. ( yeah right)
Re: Winter eyes on Erie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Awesome idea steelie.Im hearing everyone rave about eyes on onieda and lake x and i know similar conditions and feeding  must occur in fall on erie.especially Hamburg and smokes.Nobody fishes it. I should be shot because its my back yard and i always have the boat put away for deer season ( I have a slight addiction to bow season)We do good in spring at night so they must return there in fall to put on the feed bag.Im in the game next fall.Winterizing waits till Dec. from now on.       
I remember EVERY TIME I fished or hunted. The REST of the time I...uh...um..... musta been doing something else that didnt matter.

blaque

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2006, 03:30 PM »
No answer to that, but ive been thinking about it, and .......i dunno, dont all the eastern basin erie eyes, or at least a majority of them migrate back to the west end of the lake for the end of fall/winter months.?

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2006, 06:27 PM »
From what I've heard from speakers at the SouthTowns Walleye, there are 2 populations of walleye locally. One which migrates the lake up the American shoreline from the Western Basin in the spring and then back to the Western Basin along the Canadian shore in late fall.
The other is a local population that inhabits the eastern Basin year round.
Aquaman, I'd bet trolling the walls outside the harbor would pay off in the late fall. You'd probably hook up with an occasional muskie to boot. Waiting till after deer season to put the boat to bed is a good idea.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

steelieatc

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2006, 11:57 AM »
I might have to take a walk, a long walk, to the end of Bird Peer and check it out. I obviously love steelie fishin but I love eating the other white meat just as much. I have also caught steelies off the peer.

hunters08

« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2006, 09:08 PM »
I think the main reason some people dont do it is because the wind is usually screwing up the lake real bad in the late fall i mean like in november and its normally not fishable. :tipup:
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.