FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How big is you freezer?  (Read 2736 times)

wyogator

How big is you freezer?
« on: Apr 05, 2004, 08:37 AM »
Hey, I know this doesn't have much to do with fishing, but I am curious; how big is your freezer? is it a chest or upright? I am looking for a freezer to store elk, venison and fish.  Any suggestions on what size I should get?

can_of_worms

Re: How big is you freezer?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2004, 10:04 AM »
Which one?? We have four of them running now, with any luck we can shut one down for a few months. Uprights are easier to keep organized, I have heard people say that they aren't as efficient as the chest freezers though. When you open the door alot of cold comes out due to the fact that cold air sinks. I don't notice any differance myself if we run all the uprights or all the chests. We use one chest for taxidermy and all the rest are for food. Also,I was told by the guy that sold us our new one that they are no longer able to be stored outside in your garage or barn. They will freeze up and shut off, Our new freezer did just that this winter. We had it in the basement over by the west wall, it gets cool down there, but I never thought it would get cold enough to shut it down. Moved it, and it is fine. Never had a problem with our older ones, had two of them out in our barn for years without any trouble. Go with the biggest you can afford, you will need it for all that meat . Take care

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2004, 11:54 AM »
I'll second it on the chest freezer. More efficient.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

reubenpa

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2004, 11:55 AM »
it is not big enough that is for sure. I have a 5 cu foot chest...freezer of course... and wish I had something tons bigger.   
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2004, 12:38 PM »
We have a 7 cu. ft. chest freezer for storing meat in and a 14 cu ft upright freezer for everything we use regularly.  It is easier to find things in the upright, but the chest is better for storage.

bushbunny

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2004, 01:25 PM »
We have a 21 cu.ft. upright,  a 21 cu.ft. chest, & a 15 cu.ft. chest.  Wild game in the upright, because it is easily segregated on shelves as to species, beef, pork, & veggies in the larger chest, and the "War Department's"  berries and other misc. wine making fruits in the smaller.  I don't freeze fish, as I can be on 3 lakes within 10 minutes of the house, so fresh fish in the form of perch, walleye, pike, or rainbow trout is always readily available, when the urge hits.  Love northern Alberta!!!

wyogator

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2004, 02:03 PM »
Thanks guys.  I am thinking about an 8.8, but that may be too small for deer and/or elk. I am looking for the smallest one I can get away with.

loveice

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2004, 08:11 PM »
HA got 3 cheast freezers   ;D

skulldugary

« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2004, 09:35 AM »
A 21 c.f. chest feezer thats it too big right now since I did'nt put my usuall 3 deer in it this past season :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.