FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Line Choice?  (Read 7331 times)

Chucker

Line Choice?
« on: Apr 08, 2004, 04:29 PM »
Just wondering what everyone uses for line....

jyoung

Re: Line Choice?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2004, 09:36 PM »
Power pro in all different lb. test from 30lb. to 80lb.
I use to use tuff line but it takes on to much water and when you do any kind of cold water fishing the line starts to freeze up and than the spool grows.
Good hunting, Jeff
Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

Chucker

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2004, 05:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I've already picked up a spool of 80 pound Spectron in green, but haven't spooled the 6500 yet.

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2004, 08:10 PM »
power pro on mostly all my poles except for my ultra light on there i put 4lb spider mono works pretty good. also i used berkley big game supreme while i was salmon fishing and that stuff was extremely hard to break.

MikeMo

• chasing water wolves
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2004, 04:30 AM »
every muskie and pickerel I ever caught was on 8 lbs test stren.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2004, 08:44 AM »
Hey guys.  what is your reason for using that heavy line (up to 80# test)?  I fish for musky alot and have yet to had one break 25 # mono boating numerous fish in the 20-30 lb range.  Just curious, does the bulkier line aid in some sort of presentation or is it just added insurance.   Are you eliminating the wire leader with the use of such heavy line?
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2004, 01:14 PM »
All hail and praise for fireline!  I caught 2 muskies on a medium light action spinning setup with 12' test fireline.  One fish was about 25lbs.

suskymusky

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2004, 04:58 AM »
I use 12 lb test Trilene.I always use an  Invisi-leader steel leader.These thin wire leaders don't ruin the action of the bait, and don't scare leader-shy fish like bass and walleye.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2004, 06:45 AM »
I have yet to get to fish them in open water but will be using the same rods I do for saltwater striped bass. All my reels are spooled up with 15 and 20 pound Power Pro.

I'm glad to see people over here are saying 12 and 15 pound test. I've been called a nut over on the New Jersey board, having people say I would never be able to set the hook with anything less then 40 or 50 pound test. It doesn't matter what pound test you have as long as your hooks are shap enough to set the hook.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

MikeMo

• chasing water wolves
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 05:16 PM »
All I use is 8# stren, pulled in some nice muskies with it. Biggest one I took was 49 inches on 8 pound stren. Lucky for me I was on a boat we let him drag us around for a while.

Esox

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 08:03 PM »
If you are targeting Muskies, I'd go with 30#-50# power pro. I use 30# PP on my pike/striper rods and it's not an issue. I would not go any lighter then 30#. JMO

Chucker

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 05:20 AM »
As it turns out, I returned the Spectron, and picked up a 300yd spool of 50# PowerPro.  I love the way it casts - super limp.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 06:22 AM »
If you are targeting Muskies, I'd go with 30#-50# power pro. I use 30# PP on my pike/striper rods and it's not an issue. I would not go any lighter then 30#. JMO

As it turns out, I returned the Spectron, and picked up a 300yd spool of 50# PowerPro.  I love the way it casts - super limp.

I posted this earlier in this thread and maybe it was missed:

Hey guys.  what is your reason for using that heavy line (up to 80# test)?  I fish for musky alot and have yet to had one break 25 # mono boating numerous fish in the 20-30 lb range.  Just curious, does the bulkier line aid in some sort of presentation or is it just added insurance.   Are you eliminating the wire leader with the use of such heavy line?

Just Curious, Thanks!

Esox

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 02:49 PM »
50# powerpro has a diameter of 12# mono (I think).  It casts better, especially with softplastic jerkbaits, and offers a "direct connection" to the fish since there is basically no strech. I've gone to Power Pro on all my gear except for my salmon and trout stuff.

One thing to remember about using high poundage line....you want to set your drag to the weakest componant in you system. Wich usually ends up being your reel.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 04:27 PM »
OK, I was envisioning people chucking 50 - 80 lb. mono or dacron.  Much clearer now. ;D  I know what you mean when talking of no stretch line.  I have used Fireline quite a bit and am planning on respooling with Power Pro next time.  I'm assuming that you really like it since you have it on the majority of your reels.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.