FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What'll we do when lead's banned?  (Read 4762 times)

buzzbomb

What'll we do when lead's banned?
« on: Apr 11, 2004, 12:55 PM »
Does anyone have plans for the impending lead ban?  Does anyone have concrete information on when and how it'll be implemented?  ie; what'll pass muster and what won't.   While I don't think anybody's going to get jailed for using leadhead jigs for awhile, those big sinkers for carp fishing will probably be a no-no.  Wonder how much a sparkplug weighs?  Maybe a guy could thread steel pipe onto the bottom end and screw an eye onto the top where the metal cap is to make variable weight sinkers.  Bismuth and tungsten are going to be expensive I think, and necessity's still a mother.

venisonman

Re: What'll we do when lead's banned?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2004, 01:15 PM »
As of May 7th retailers can no longer sell lead sinkers or split shot. They will still be allowed for fishing. You just have to settle with your conscience wether to use them or the alternatives.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Cider

Re: What'll we do when lead's banned?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2004, 01:50 PM »
We have been without lead for a couple of years in NH now.  We can't have any lead under 1 oz. or 1" in length.

It was a tough transition, but we got used to it.  The retailers really helped out by pulling the lead and replacing it with tin or steel substitute.  The only real issue that I have is that the tin split shot isn't as heavy so you either have to use twice as much as the same size or step up to something larger.  Sometimes this can screw up the presentation a little.

I haven't seen any bismuth weights yet.  They would probably work as well as lead and be safer, but the $$ would be pretty steep.  Would be worth it though when you think about how light the tin is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.