FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing for brookies this time of year  (Read 2762 times)

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
Fishing for brookies this time of year
« on: Jun 18, 2008, 05:48 AM »
what dose everyone do to catch brookies this time of year and latter into the seasosn I usally stick with small cold brooks and then fly hatches on lakes and ponds when the green drakes start to hatch

knurren

• What of it?!
Re: Fishing for brookies this time of year
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Pretty much it.  Find some 55 degree water, or water that is close to that.  As the water levels decrease and streams warm, they'll draw up into feeder brooks that are still deep and fed by cold ground water.

You might try a sinking fly line or a sink tip line and trolling a streamer when there is no hatch.  They'll be hanging out deeper where it's cooler.

I don't have a boat, so I usually stick to streams.  That makes it hard because in Southern, NH the waters are real low and warm.  It would almost be more economical to buy a boat and stick to local ponds than to spend the money on gas to go up north where the trout fishing is still good.
Live free or die trying.

troutaddict33

Re: Fishing for brookies this time of year
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2008, 11:12 AM »
other than fly hatches like you said... FISH DEEP. seriously. i went over the weekend and we were using bottom bouncing rigs to get deep with liters coming off those and spinners, spoons, nymphs, streamers, yo-zuris, etc and it was working. we fished a 150 acre pond that has one deep hole of 75 feet and you really need to let a lot of line out to get deep but it's worth it. if you can use live bait use small minnows also. good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.