FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any Erie Dearie fans still left out there?  (Read 7621 times)

slipbob

Any Erie Dearie fans still left out there?
« on: May 28, 2004, 01:48 PM »
We used to slaughter the eyes along with everybody else in the early 80's in Lake Erie on these babies and that's obviously where they got their name.  Driftcasting through giant schools of walleye with these baits was quite productive maybe because there used to be such huge numbers of fish or because they were a good bait.  I do still from time to time cast the Dearie's and last year caught quite a few nice eyes on them in some of the places I fish here in upstate NY, and no it wasn't on Lake Erie.  Does anybody still toss these out on Erie or anywhere else and produce walleye?

OTIS

Re: Any Erie Dearie fans still left out there?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2004, 10:56 AM »
When I had my boat I loved to drift Oneida Lake.  I always had at least one rod with an Erie Dearie and night crawler combination on it.  I picked up a bunch at Wal-Mart back in March for 25 cents each.  Now all I need is another boat.  :(
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

TJ

How about a pic of an Erie Dearie?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2004, 11:49 AM »
Not up to date on the term, got a photo?

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Those look very similar to a Mepps Walleye Killer.  I have a few of the Mepps version in my tackle box.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2004, 06:11 PM »
I use them quite often. Walleye, bass, pike, pickerel, even perch.

Here's my leftover stock( what's not on my boat)

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2004, 07:22 PM »
I never knew what those things were called, when i was 10 i bought a bunch from the right aid pharmacy for like 50 cents a piece, never used them and i still have them in the package, but now i know they work i might try them, thanx.

TJ

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2004, 01:19 AM »
Those look very similar to a Mepps Walleye Killer.  I have a few of the Mepps version in my tackle box.

Your right Cider, thats what I know them by. Good lure, good hard thumpping action, but heavy, have to be in some deep water not to hit bottom too fast. Lost a lot in rocky 10-20 feet of water, trolling.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2004, 04:00 AM »
I like using the Dearies on choppy days. I cast/drift them  working them on or near the bottom. They're deadly on the Lake Ontario smallmouth. Tip them with a piece of night crawler, and hang on  ;D

I've also had success trolling/drifting smaller versions for perch in deeper water.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2004, 10:07 AM »
I used to fish them quite a bit.  I found that harnesses/spinner rigs to be more effective in the same situations and usually lean in that direction.  I still have a few in my box though.  ;)
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2004, 02:23 PM »
Jigwiggler,
I use spinner rigs as well...with bottom bouncers, 3 ways or slip sinkers. They present a slower action than Dearies.   Fish sure do slam those Dearies though.

RG

Cider

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2004, 04:12 PM »
They deserve a place in every versatile fisherman's tacklebox.

Where do you get yours from slipbob?  Does fish307 carry them?  I only have about three or four of the mepps walleye killers (identical to the dearies) left and sure would like to stock up again.

Thanks!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2004, 05:06 PM »
Jigwiggler,
I use spinner rigs as well...with bottom bouncers, 3 ways or slip sinkers. They present a slower action than Dearies.   Fish sure do slam those Dearies though.

RG

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them.  They work better than harnesses for casting, especially when working a sharp drop off.  The heft of the ED keeps you in the strike zone easily without the long harness to deal with.  I was thinking of specific example rather than other possible presentations.  Should have clarified.  ;D
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2004, 05:37 PM »
Good fishers have all kinds of rigs to use. It's the great thing about this site and the Shanty....40+ years of fishing and I still learn new tricks. I guess the real fun is pulling out an oldie like the ED and having it still work.

A couple of weeks ago I dug out some old Jitterbugs and hammered a bunch of bass. Hadn't used one in more years than I can recall.

How much fun can you have? ;D
RG

Cider

« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2004, 07:27 PM »
I hate to say it Cider but I got mine at WallyMart. 

Rub it in, rub it in!!   >:(  >:(  :(  :'(  I'll check Cabela's out and see what they can do for me!

They might be a great thing to bring with you on your walleye trip as a extra weapon in your walleye arsenal.

I'll see what I can scrounge up in the remaining month I have left before headin' north by northwest!  I was already planning on tossing the three I have left in with my Mister Twisters, Rapalas, and Pins Minnows!!  ;D

livin4ice

« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2004, 07:38 PM »
I have used ED's for a lot of years.  I even had a couple that I had to re-paint.  I use them on Erie when there is a heavy chop.  They are heavy enough to stay close to the bottom.  On the days when the water is a little flatter I use worm harness' with spinners and beads.  These are nice because I can vary the ammount of weight I use on the rig.  Anyway ....long live the ED.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.