FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 625381 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #960 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:25 PM »
I'll tell you what....I need about a 3 power bump in my bifocals when I get smaller than #16s.

I just made my weekly donation to the economy. An assortment of turkey biots, CDCs, threads, dubbings and a couple of tools. Gotta keep J. Stockard in business ;D
I'm gonna get these emergers down :flex:

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #961 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Maybe like these...

;D
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #962 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:27 PM »
Looking good RG! My stock is way down but I grabbed some for a pict or two...
We love swinging wets and emergers in faster water and if I had to pick a few patters it would be a winged Hares Ear wet - a lighter and darker version of it will cover most hatches in size 10-16. A standard leadwing coachman in the same sizes catchs us alot of fish also!
Then a CDC or rabbit foor emerger. And a loop wing emerger pattern...  8)

First picture, far right fly is my loop wing creation: back half is a standard PT nymph then it transitions to the the fly thats hatchings color. That is a Sulpher. Then a loop wing made with maribou tips. I played with a bunch of materials and liked maribou tips the best. Tie in the tips, add a little dubbing, make a small loop, some more dubbing, then I like to finish with a wrap of brown hackle pushed back to give it that leggy buggy look. Tied on a wetfly hook they fish deep enough. When fish are on the surface I fish em doped up to stay in or close to the surface.  ;D

Bottom picture, the two beat up flies flies at 11 oclock are just a modified version for bigger mayflies, ie: march browns, drakes, ect... Basic mayfly back end, then some dubbing, then either a cdc, rabbit foot, or maribou tip wing...

Bottom pict, the two flies at the bottom left are tied with CDC. A  BW Olive and a Sulpher...

RG - When I get set up to tie, I'll get some better picts.
But those flies take 99% of our fish. Once in a while I get into some fish on a spinner fall - thats just a standard mahogany body and poly wing spinner... But if they are on spinners, I do well with a big lead wing coachman...
p.s. - I tend to tie my flies for down there thinner and more sparse. Use to be afraid they couldnt see them till I got some pigs on tiny olives...

That should give ya some fat to chew on for a while, lol...

MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

wiredstone

« Reply #963 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:28 PM »
That looks like the Big D . Great pics. Getting the Fly gear out as soon as I get back from Maine. Maine some salmon ice flies for my tip-ups.
wooo fish on. Never mind

wiredstone

« Reply #964 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:40 PM »
Won,t be long now. Spring will be back.
wooo fish on. Never mind

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #965 on: Feb 13, 2012, 02:10 AM »
Thanks bud! I've gotta get these flies in the box so I can start on my birthday present to me ;D That Axiom 5wt blank has been sitting too long.

RG

Sage

« Reply #966 on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:57 AM »
I have been spinning up some glass bead head nymphs with some extra weight for pin fishing....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #967 on: Feb 13, 2012, 03:25 PM »
Nice work Sage. Welcome to the fly addicts corner ;D

RG

kc

« Reply #968 on: Feb 13, 2012, 03:36 PM »
just a silly question, but if you are fishing those flies on a pin rod under a float, aren't they hanging upside down?

Sage

« Reply #969 on: Feb 13, 2012, 03:43 PM »
I never thought of that.... All I know is a month ago when the bead, sack an pink worm didn't produce, these did...

kc

« Reply #970 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:31 PM »
thanks for the info. I will have to tie some up.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #971 on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:30 PM »
That looks like the Big D

Yep it is! We have a place on the river south of Hancock. I just love it down there!
RG is tyin up some flies for a 3 day weekend he is comming down for in probably late may.

We see eagles quite regularly down there. Heres video I got a few years ago. I was fishing my way down a rift on the main stem and this guy was watchin me.  8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fNw41K43Lc&list=UUKYy3_XMT2HIv6MUvlXmpLg&index=17&feature=plcp

West Branch...

My fav East Branch spot. I plan on takin RG there. It is a bit of a walk but he does pretty good for a senior.  ::) ::) ;D

We may bring the pontoons/kayaks...

Trout will be our main target but if the shad are in they are a ton of fun...

And I may know a place where a guy can catch a few of these... Tank may want to blind-fold him first though...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #972 on: Feb 14, 2012, 01:53 AM »
Very nice Jay ;D

RG

Dark Cloud

« Reply #973 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Hey RG - Whats you take on that Axiom?
Im throwing around the idea of a another 5wt(i have a mudhole gift cert burning here). If you look at blank weights those axioms are heavier than most. Now I know we are talking fractions of an ounce but whats your take?
Would you consider it "fast"?
Im leaning towards something slower....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #974 on: Feb 17, 2012, 01:17 AM »
Absolutely a fast rod. Tight loops and distance oriented. The Kevlar sandwiched with high modulus graphite reduces the ovaling of the blank under stress. Less vibration and a crisper performance. I had the chance to toss one for a bit at a demo day last year. Not for the faint of heart ;D But dang, man. That thing could shoot a line a mile and not a wrinkle in sight at the finish. It'll take some practice....a whole different rhythm.

That said, I'd probably look for a deal on am IM7 blank if I was looking for something slower. I've yet to handle a really high modulus blank that could be called "a bit slower". But, I'm preaching to the choir here. You know more about blanks than I do.

The only other thing I'll say is TFO makes some great stuff at an affordable price. No overseas crap there.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.