FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623701 times)

wiredstone

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1110 on: May 16, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Great pics ! :thumbup_smilie:
wooo fish on. Never mind

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1111 on: May 19, 2012, 05:02 PM »
Spin Flies ;D
Way....Way....Way back when...I used to fly fish sometimes with spin flies.

I used Rooster Tail 1/32 oz with the propeller blade. Recently I discovered a stash of those blades which I apparently purchased during one of my lure building frenzies. So I got to thinking (always a dangerous thing) "Why not a spin fly with those neat little propeller blades?"

I have no idea if they'll work. The blades spin freely with a slight breath of air. I think they'll add something for a fish to notice. I'll find out tomorrow. I have another Sunday expedition to unknown waters. A piece f stream I've looked at for many years and never tried. By all rights, there should be smallmouth in this water ;D

I'll report with pics.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ryanrobb52

« Reply #1112 on: May 19, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Great idea with the spinners!

KingPerch

« Reply #1113 on: May 20, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Spin Flies ;D
Way....Way....Way back when...I used to fly fish sometimes with spin flies.

I used Rooster Tail 1/32 oz with the propeller blade. Recently I discovered a stash of those blades which I apparently purchased during one of my lure building frenzies. So I got to thinking (always a dangerous thing) "Why not a spin fly with those neat little propeller blades?"

I have no idea if they'll work. The blades spin freely with a slight breath of air. I think they'll add something for a fish to notice. I'll find out tomorrow. I have another Sunday expedition to unknown waters. A piece f stream I've looked at for many years and never tried. By all rights, there should be smallmouth in this water ;D

I'll report with pics.

RG
Very nice Bob!! ;)--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

dimebrite

« Reply #1114 on: May 21, 2012, 02:42 PM »
I like it... i imagine even with a dead drift they would still be effective. Very interested to see how they work for you...thanks for sharing

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1115 on: May 21, 2012, 03:53 PM »
They worked as well as I thought they would. The first stream I went to was new to me. No bass. Dace, Darters and fall fish. The second stream I visited I knew well. Full of small mouth and rockies. They loved them.

I'll be tweaking the recipe a bit to shorten the  overall length of the body and thin it out a bit. I'm also going to eliminate the forward bead. It's unnecessary. I also have some micro swivels I'll try. Any debris on the spinner will cause the fly to spin. The swivel should keep the leader under control.

I'm gonna weight some as well. They drift ever so slowly. I need to get down into the deeper holes.

Neat stuff for sure.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wiredstone

« Reply #1116 on: May 21, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Great idea ! :thumbup_smilie:
wooo fish on. Never mind

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1117 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05 PM »

I'm gonna weight some as well. They drift ever so slowly. I need to get down into the deeper holes.

Neat stuff for sure.

RG

Try and weight the body of the streamer and maybe even some more towards the tail to get it to drop parallel...  ;)
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1118 on: May 29, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Here's a simple stupid fly that really works.

Bob's  "Foam Hopper Popper"

It makes a pleasing little blurp when short stripped. Made the bass and blue gills crazy this last weekend. Yellow and black seemed most effective.

RG

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1119 on: Jun 10, 2012, 05:38 AM »
bob  nice  job!  i love  any  small popper  for  top water  gill action!  i'm sorry   guys  i havn't been on much  but  life  has  been rather  demanding  the  last  4  months , as  it  is  starting to  return to a  more  normal pace  i find  myself  slipping to  the  fly  bench  to  relax  .....  foam spiders  and  hoppers  along  with bead head  nymphs  ,nothing  news shattering  but  i think it helps  to lower  my  blood  presure  !!!!  catch  i hammered  them  yesterday  and  plan a  return today  .....  call me  i'll tell you where ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1120 on: Jun 10, 2012, 03:13 PM »
I gave some to a good friend of mine that's now a novice fly fisher. He was catching some good browns on them on a local stream. He asked if I could make him some more as his supply is pretty much all up in the trees. I told him I'd rather give him a vise and a few tying lessons.

He's a good friend ;D

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1121 on: Jun 10, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Here's a simple stupid fly that really works.

Bob's  "Foam Hopper Popper"

It makes a pleasing little blurp when short stripped. Made the bass and blue gills crazy this last weekend. Yellow and black seemed most effective.

RG

The body one piece of foam RG??--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1122 on: Jun 10, 2012, 08:03 PM »
i  found  that  when  you  use  a  thicker  piece  of  foam  you  can  shape  it  with  a  drumel  and  mahe  the  mouth  a  better  popper  .....  flytier  mag  has  some  great  flies  simular  to  this  ...  simple  is  usually  the  best  :)
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1123 on: Jun 11, 2012, 02:28 AM »
One piece  of 1/4" KP...or 2 if you want it to look good to you. . The gills don't care.

Never thought about my Dremel tool Trap. I'll try that.

RG

one last cast

« Reply #1124 on: Jun 11, 2012, 12:39 PM »
hey fellas i'm back!  ;D been really busy with life, but i got a few free days and ,rg got me thinking about foam. trying to step out of the woolly bugger box and tied these up(my #6 version of a dragon fly) and tested them out on a lil pond!

best of the day was just under 17" not bad for trying a new style of fly,oh and the sunny's loved them so much there was no deer hair left! ;D
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.