FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623657 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1245 on: Sep 13, 2012, 12:31 AM »
Thanks for the info. I didn't know UV resins were used for windshield repair.

There's a company called Wahoo International that sells UV coatings. Their main biz is clear coatings for surf boards, but they also package for the fly tying folks. They have some 110v LED lamps in the right nanometric range for this type of resin. I just haven't pulled the trigger as yet. I bought the Loon Outdoors UV flashlight and it works OK to set the resin. It was $25 or so. Way overpriced for a single 2 watt LED.

Later I bought a 40 LED UV flashlight off Ebay for $14 that works much better. Direct Sunlight still does the best job of completely hardening the Loon product I've been using. The beauty of this is that you can place a drop or coat an entire fly body. It remains workable and flows out nicely with no bubbled. It sets in a second or 2 when the proper light is applied. No mixing, mess or drying time with sagging epoxy.

I'm going to experiment with it on the  thread wraps of an old rod of mine. I'm curious to see how it holds up to flexing and such.

Fun stuff anyway.

KP, we'll have to shoot for some ice fishing I guess :-\

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1246 on: Sep 13, 2012, 06:48 AM »
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see  we  really  are  better  off  then we  were  4  years  ago!!!!!! :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

it's  a  joke  i lean  more  right   :laugh:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1247 on: Sep 13, 2012, 04:28 PM »
Hey...don't be insulting my Chia Obama.

Actually, Mine looks more like a cross with Larry Fine

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #1248 on: Sep 13, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Thanks for the info. I didn't know UV resins were used for windshield repair.

There's a company called Wahoo International that sells UV coatings. Their main biz is clear coatings for surf boards, but they also package for the fly tying folks. They have some 110v LED lamps in the right nanometric range for this type of resin. I just haven't pulled the trigger as yet. I bought the Loon Outdoors UV flashlight and it works OK to set the resin. It was $25 or so. Way overpriced for a single 2 watt LED.

Later I bought a 40 LED UV flashlight off Ebay for $14 that works much better. Direct Sunlight still does the best job of completely hardening the Loon product I've been using. The beauty of this is that you can place a drop or coat an entire fly body. It remains workable and flows out nicely with no bubbled. It sets in a second or 2 when the proper light is applied. No mixing, mess or drying time with sagging epoxy.

I'm going to experiment with it on the  thread wraps of an old rod of mine. I'm curious to see how it holds up to flexing and such.

Fun stuff anyway.

KP, we'll have to shoot for some ice fishing I guess :-\

RG
It's how the dice roll from time to time!! I know those smallies are still there though!!! ;) We can ice fish there too!! ;D Love the chia Obama!!! ;D--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1249 on: Sep 14, 2012, 01:21 AM »
My son found it at a garage sale. They gave it to him for nothing :-\.  I have a couple of energy management systems to install up North this fall. Maybe I'll be able to pass through on my travels. I still have an item in the vault to deliver.

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #1250 on: Sep 14, 2012, 11:26 AM »
that  was  funny  lol

trapper2000

« Reply #1251 on: Sep 16, 2012, 05:44 AM »
couple  flies  i been  playing  with  for  the  SS&T   fun

first  this  is a  bead head bunny  muddler  it's a  good  fly  when  fish in the  river are  agressive  and  a  nice  plus  bass like  it too!

this  is  a  egg sucking  leach  body  is  crystal  braid  and maralboo wing

been having  fun with the season  plenty of  big  fish (salmon)  and  the  panfish  are  on the  fed  ,get  out there  and  have  some  fun

KingPerch

« Reply #1252 on: Sep 16, 2012, 05:53 PM »
My son found it at a garage sale. They gave it to him for nothing :-\.  I have a couple of energy management systems to install up North this fall. Maybe I'll be able to pass through on my travels. I still have an item in the vault to deliver.

RG
;)

trapper2000

« Reply #1253 on: Sep 17, 2012, 07:06 AM »
being  salmon  season  and  with a  few  steelies  already  showing  up  i  wanted  to  share  a  fly  i  have    rather  good  luck  with  ...sorry  my  camera  is  broke  and  i  had  to  use  my  phone  to  get  a  pin  ...the  fly is tied  on a  mustad  92158  hook  size  4  for  salmon  and  6  for steelies  ....  tag  is  hot  pink  yarn  wraped  around  hook  ,  tail is  rubber  legs  on  this  one i  used  pink  and  black   body  is  blue sparkle  braid    toped off  with  black ostrich  herl  .....i  used  black  thread  on  this  one  but  hot pink  looks  cool too !    have  fun  ...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1254 on: Sep 17, 2012, 11:14 AM »
I think we'll take up a collection and buy you a camera for Christmas ;D

It's probably a very nice fly :-\

RG

OTIS

« Reply #1255 on: Sep 17, 2012, 11:25 AM »
Are we sure it's the camera?  :laugh:

Trapp, do those pictures look a little fuzzy to you? :D
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

trapper2000

« Reply #1256 on: Sep 17, 2012, 12:20 PM »
hic  ...up   nooooooooo   :rotflol:

KingPerch

« Reply #1257 on: Sep 17, 2012, 04:49 PM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1258 on: Sep 18, 2012, 02:15 AM »
Maybe you're just out of focus Trap :-\

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #1259 on: Sep 18, 2012, 06:12 AM »
Maybe you're just out of focus Trap :-\

RG

I'M  GOING  TO  GET A  NEW  CAMERA  HOPEFULLY  IN A  FEW  DAYS  , MY  PHONE  TAKES  AWEFUL  PICTURES  OF  CLOSE  UPS  ......BUT  AT  LEAST WITH THE  PIC AND  THE  RECIPE YOU  GET A  GOOD IDEA  ....IT  REALLY  IS A  GOOD  FLY  I USE  IT  ALOT  DURING  SALMON  FISHING  IN HOPES  OF A EARLY  STEELIE  OR  BROWN  ....HAVE  HAD  COHOS  HONESTLY  GRAB IT TOO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.