FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623888 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1380 on: Mar 15, 2013, 01:39 AM »
Fun stuff there! I like your Grasshoppers.

After 30 or so years of fly tying I've learned one thing.....there's never enough stuff to tie with. My friend is sending me a muskrat pelt so what do instantly do???  Buy a raccoon pelt and a bag of coyote belly fur scraps so I can tie some Ausable Uglies. Of course I'll probably have enough for 8 or 10 thousand flies....but, that's the way it goes :-\

I took the liberty of resizing your pictures. Please keep them to no more than 800 x 600.

Thanks,
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Chuckles

« Reply #1381 on: Mar 15, 2013, 02:49 AM »
  Oh, not much of anything.  I haven't gotten it out for a good number of years.  Guess I'll have to get out the magnifying glass and  try some #8 Woolly Worms.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1382 on: Mar 15, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Been working on some BWO's.

Biot Body

Comparadun

Antron Parachute

CDC

They're a test for the old eyes in #20.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1383 on: Mar 15, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Those are some nice olives RG. I'll bet the #20's were a challenge. I don't think I've tied smaller than a #16 in 30 years. I was looking through the hook drawer a couple weeks ago and found a half a dozen or so #24's......I laughed...  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1384 on: Mar 16, 2013, 01:34 AM »
The challenge is not so much seeing them as that my hands are rather large. My fingers get in the way :-\ I need some small stuff for the new 2 wt.

Rg

Chuckles

« Reply #1385 on: Mar 16, 2013, 03:06 AM »
The challenge is not so much seeing them as that my hands are rather large. My fingers get in the way :-\ I need some small stuff for the new 2 wt.

Rg

Rg   Those are some good looking flies.
Trapper...KP...KP Jr. ... &  FM... You guys do nice work also.

I stumbled on to this forum page yesterday.  WOW 93 pages of info to go back and absorb.
This foam  stuff caught my attention  so after a trip to WallyWorld then JoAnn Fab.  I think I'll
try to make some Black Ants  &  Beetles.

Thanks guys for the hints.

Later...Chuckles

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1386 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:04 AM »
the  art  of   fly  tying  is   not   the  fly  you  produce  but  rather   the  fish  that  your  fly  produces  ;D

olives  are  the  early  mainstay   RG  ^5
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Chuckles

« Reply #1387 on: Mar 16, 2013, 06:03 AM »
the  art  of   fly  tying  is   not   the  fly  you  produce  but  rather   the  fish  that  your  fly  produces  ;D

Trapper.... Thanks for the   Words of Wisdom   and I take it that's more from RG   "olives are....."

You see, after not tying for a number of years, the magnifying glass is a necessity. ( that's what happens
when you hit  65/70 years young)  I'm not a fly fisherman anymore those days are gone.  Spinning rod now and  trail'er'em behind a float.  Why, that's almost as bad as a  Cen'er Pin'er....hehehehe.

Grandson & I  fish for Bluegills, so I'll stick with the Woolly Buggers.  May try that pattern on a lead head jig hook.

Later...Pachuckles   akaChuckles

Bartman44

« Reply #1388 on: Mar 16, 2013, 07:35 AM »

Great quote!  Here's a few articulated monsters I've recently produced in the laboratory that I hope will produce some big browns soon. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1389 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Nice ties Bart. I've done some articulated but on a much smaller scale. Great possibilities there.

Trapper's right, I don't tie to sell or for presentation. I tie to catch fish. I'm getting the "Toon" prepped for service. I intend to assault the ponds and rivers in earnest this spring.

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #1390 on: Mar 16, 2013, 12:16 PM »
Trapper.... Thanks for the   Words of Wisdom   and I take it that's more from RG   "olives are....."

You see, after not tying for a number of years, the magnifying glass is a necessity. ( that's what happens
when you hit  65/70 years young)  I'm not a fly fisherman anymore those days are gone.  Spinning rod now and  trail'er'em behind a float.  Why, that's almost as bad as a  Cen'er Pin'er....hehehehe.

Grandson & I  fish for Bluegills, so I'll stick with the Woolly Buggers.  May try that pattern on a lead head jig hook.

Later...Pachuckles   akaChuckles

chuck  my   brother  is   72   with  removed  arm  mucsel  and  open  heart     he  still  tosses  some  flies!   as  far  as   a  mag  glass  joannes  fabrics  clip  on  desk  model   lot  cheaper  then  any  fly  shop  ....  RG  oh  i'm  ready  i  did  toss  flies  with   success  after  steel  a  little  this  winter  but  with  the  home  front  settling  down  a  bit  i  plan  a  major  attack  this   year   ;D

wiredstone

« Reply #1391 on: Mar 16, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Tied my first fly of the year. A little rusty, but it will do ;)
wooo fish on. Never mind

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1392 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:14 PM »

Rg

LoL. It seems my fingers get bigger and dumber every year!  :-\
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1393 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:27 PM »
I have to say, this has been a fun topic. Better than 2 years of tying here. Can't believe we're at 93 pages of flies and chop bustin'. I was reading back from the start and bumped into those here and gone. Rest in peace LT.

Thanks to everyone for helping to keep it going. You're a good bunch or fly nutz!

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #1394 on: Mar 16, 2013, 06:36 PM »
the  best  thing  about   fly  fishing  and  tying  is   it  really   doesn't  matter  if  your  a  novice  or  a pro   ,it's   pure  fun   and   weather   your   doing  it   to  be  social  or   you  like  knowing  the  insects  latin  names  it's   got  something  for  everyone  ....  i  like  ice  fishing  and  i  like  fishing  with  a  spinning  rod  but   when  you  ty  your  own  flies  and    are  out  there  theres a  special  reward  ....this  has  been  a  great   thread  RG  and  i'm  glad  your  back  home  at  the  bench  and    at  the  stream   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.