FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623727 times)

Bartman44

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #4110 on: Sep 24, 2022, 07:33 AM »
On our last night of vacation, we spent the day in Cheyenne, WY and visited Curt Gowdy State Park. There was an entire wall inside the visitor’s center dedicated to Mr. Gowdy, with his fishing gear on display. Unlike today, when you can pull up thousands of fishing videos on You Tube, I recall as a kid watching the American Sportsman show with my dad and my brothers, huddled around our modest TV set, complete with rabbit ears.  Times have changed.

Looking at his salmon fly box, I also recalled back in the early 1980s, losing a similar box loaded with classic steelhead flies on New York’s Salmon River. It sank like a rock. Last time I ever used a metal fly box.   

Johnnh

« Reply #4111 on: Sep 24, 2022, 11:14 AM »
Do any of the fly tiers have flies tied by Ellis Hatch from New Hampshire?

We lost him several years ago. He tied the most amazing flies.

I had the honor of serving with him on Operation Game Theif in New Hampshire

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4112 on: Sep 24, 2022, 12:20 PM »
Ahhhh, the old Perrine metal fly box. At one point I had maybe 10 of them. As you did Bart I lost a couple and switched to the latest and greatest waterproof floating boxes. Used to have a beautiful sheepskin lined leather fly wallet too. No idea where that went.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4113 on: Sep 25, 2022, 06:41 AM »
How many of you remember Flip Pallot?  As a kid I watched Walkers Cay Cronicles all the time.  Got sucked into a video yesterday of Flip & Lefty fly fishing for carp.  It was priceless.

Bart two of those salmon flies drifted like wets at night work really well for large browns when they wont take a mouse pattern.

Bartman44

« Reply #4114 on: Sep 25, 2022, 07:03 AM »
Do any of the fly tiers have flies tied by Ellis Hatch from New Hampshire?

We lost him several years ago. He tied the most amazing flies.

I had the honor of serving with him on Operation Game Theif in New Hampshire

Don't have any but I've heard that his flies were coveted by many.   

Bartman44

« Reply #4115 on: Sep 25, 2022, 07:14 AM »
How many of you remember Flip Pallot?  As a kid I watched Walkers Cay Cronicles all the time.  Got sucked into a video yesterday of Flip & Lefty fly fishing for carp.  It was priceless.

Bart two of those salmon flies drifted like wets at night work really well for large browns when they wont take a mouse pattern.

Yes, he had a well thought out show and has great narration skills. Fun to watch. I recall one episode where he and Paul Dixon hit Montauk and cast their flies into huge blitzes of striped bass. I thought to myself, "I want to go to Montauk and do that someday." Now, my son has a boat that can make to trip from Groton on good weather days and we hit the lighthouse every October.

Agree on the salmon flies but I prefer to fish in the daylight as a fumble around enough when the sun is up. Last time I fished at night I fell and cracked a couple of ribs on the Weekapaug Breechway.  :P         

Bartman44

« Reply #4116 on: Sep 25, 2022, 07:17 AM »
Just tied a few Lively Legz pheasant tells with silver ribbing and bead. Should be out there today but I have some chores to do.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4117 on: Sep 25, 2022, 09:08 AM »
Those look amazing Bart.  I have a bunch of their flies.  They work.

I had my first blitz of bass on flies last weekend.  It was amazing.  I want to go this afternoon but the southwest is going to crank.

62 & Done

« Reply #4118 on: Sep 25, 2022, 02:35 PM »
Just tied a few Lively Legz pheasant tells with silver ribbing and bead. Should be out there today but I have some chores to do.

I like to stack flies of this type over a tear drop jig for gills & crappie thru the ice. Most nymphs will do but some are dynamite on the right water.
          Waiting for hard water

Bartman44

« Reply #4119 on: Oct 08, 2022, 04:51 PM »
I always bring my fly box ice fishing with me.

We'll I found myself in the middle of a strong blue winged olive hatch (size22) a few days ago with just a few CDC imitations in my box that fit the bill and trout rising all around me. Did Ok, landed 5 including an18 inch brown but the little CDC flies got very wet which made them useless for a while. So went to the bench and tied a few more in a few patterns for next time which could be years from now. Tricky little things, needed the giant magnifying glass but at least they don't take up much room in the box.

Bartman44

« Reply #4120 on: Nov 28, 2022, 10:50 AM »
Back at the table for my winter past time. Tying up a variety of rubber legs.

Also, found this old guy going through all my tackle, not sure what make or model it is. Can anyone identify it?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4121 on: Nov 28, 2022, 01:34 PM »
Looks like a Heddon Torpedo to me. I have a few….not that old.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Flukeman

« Reply #4122 on: Nov 29, 2022, 06:58 AM »
Looks like a Heddon Green Crackle Back to me. I do not know if they are worth anything.

Bartman44

« Reply #4123 on: Dec 01, 2022, 06:10 PM »
Thanks. In any event, the propellers still spin well so I'm going to throw some new hooks on her and try to catch some fish on it next spring. Should be interesting.

Did some on-line research on Heddon and found this:   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4124 on: Dec 02, 2022, 04:48 AM »
Well, I knew it was something by Heddon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.