FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: shore fishin for perch  (Read 16333 times)

mullen2525

shore fishin for perch
« on: Jul 12, 2004, 02:06 PM »
since i dont have a boat I do a lot of fishing from shore.  I've caught some perch on bobber and worm but overall not very productive.  i'd love any tips you could give me, thanks.

perchfisher

• waitin' for a bite
Re: shore fishin for perch
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2004, 07:09 PM »
not a whole lot that u can do but i would try shrimp or minnows or try a crappie rig.
-cole

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2004, 04:59 PM »
Try to find some areas that drop off fast into a deep flat. Perch mostly like flats, shallow or deep. I would use a piece of worm on a bottom rig with splitshot and 4 pound line. Fishing lakes can be hard without a boat but I do it all the time too, you just have to fish for different species at certain times of the year.

Tyler

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2004, 12:21 AM »
I've had quite a bit of success from shore casting small Kastmasters and spinners and doing very slow retrieves to get them right next to the bottom. Also small Mr Twisters jigs with a small white worm on the back has produced a bunch of perch from the shore for me. The hard part is finding the fish cuz one you've found the school and whats producing fish its not hard to catch 20 or 30 fish in a short period of time.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

bigdave1018

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2004, 05:19 AM »
i use mostly a dropshot rig with either 1 hook or 2 [ hooks on top , sinker on bottom ] and minnows, worms or grass crabs for bait. catching a nice smallie is a bonus here. big dave out.

mullen2525

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2004, 10:41 AM »
thanks alot guys i've had some success with nightcrawlers on or near the bottom i'll give some of those other techniques a shot

mrwalleye

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2005, 10:03 AM »
since i dont have a boat I do a lot of fishing from shore.  I've caught some perch on bobber and worm but overall not very productive.  i'd love any tips you could give me, thanks.
a small splitshot about a foot from your hook.  a small minnow hooked through the lip, just let it sit.  (try a spot that doesnt have weeds)

Angler

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2006, 05:37 PM »

Best thing to do is play around with your presentation.... I find thats the biggest factor and there is no wrong way. (as long as you don't break any laws in your setup ..hook points..lead lengths ect ect)  If your getting some perch at 1 depth try running your other line deeper or shallower.. Try on the bottom... off the bottom,,,  Dragging the bottom with slight slow twitches.. Make changes in your sinker weights  and where  you position them.. try 3 way swivels to hang a sinker off a small heavy lead line 6" and then a light 2 to 3lb lead line to your minnow. I use a 30 " lead line. Perch are not blind, bigger the perch less likely he/she is gonna bite.. I watch while ice fishing.. Bigger perch are smart buggers.. lightest bites at times and you look down and see you just missed a monster.  I also noticed----- when your into smaller perch , the bigger ones are close by. They may be 20 yards to the left or even 3 feet off the bottom just above your bait.

Take your time....Make changes... Don't stick with the everyday lures and techniques when the action is slow  ;D

Angler

bigdave1018

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2006, 02:08 AM »
good tips there angler. thank you for your input ;).

seaweed01

« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2007, 05:49 PM »
Right now, a few days or so after ice out is a prime time to fish for perch from shore. They are crusing the
shorelines looking to spawn. If you have a pond/lake that has weed beds close to shore, use a slip bobber
and minnow, cast to the outer edge of the weeds and if there is perch there you will get them. The last few
days we have been killing them from daylight until around 9 am when the sun comes up and they stop hitting.
I believe (my opinion) that they move deeper when the sun comes up. If you have access to a boat move out
to deeper water and you should do ok. In the places I fish often, this usually only last for two to three weeks
and then we fhave to hunt for the schools again.

Basskicker

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2007, 05:23 PM »
I use a 1/16 oz. hair jig and 4 lb. test.Cast it out and let it sink to the bottom.Slowly drag it across the bottom,you will feel the bite!

fastribs85

« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2007, 10:52 AM »
hey i trick ive found to catchin perch is using a lindy rig type setup you would use for walleyes with a night crawler or minnows
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Big Burk

« Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2007, 03:06 PM »
ice fishing jigs under a slip bobber with typical perch bait works great. also small rapalas and spoons work to. small twister tails are really good to 8)

oatkasut

« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2009, 11:39 PM »
big dave is correct BUT move the bait every 30 seconds by a turn of the real. Movement gets the hits!

Jigman

« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:18 PM »
How do you setup a slip bobber for perch?  Specifically, the Thill Pro Series bobbers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.