MyFishFinder By Species > Bullhead

Bullhead Newbie here needs some help from the pros

(1/4) > >>

Busby:
I have never fished for them or any kind of catfish. I need to know a few things.
How deep should I fish?
What time is good?
And where is the stinger on them?

Any info would be a great help. Thanks.

reubenpa:
I am not a pro, and I hope others answer you but Spring is best, and the only time I will keep them as they get sick tasting in the summer.  They get them from shore a lot in the Finger lakes NY in the spring.  Also catfish don't have a stinger, they have horn like fins on the sides right below the gills and the dorsal fin.   the "sting" is actually a puncture type of a wound that burns. Poke yourself with a crabapple thorn to demonstrate. Same idea.  If you don't alow it to poke you the are safe. 

UPSTATE:
You should fish off the bottom with nightcrawlers and the best time to fish for them is in the dark hours the rest is up to you  ;)

Original FISHER Jodoin:
The best thing that works for me is Catfish Bait flavored BLOOD. I fish for them at night with a nice big light.. ;D

bigdave1018:
bulls bite for the most part after dark but can be caught during the day. as for bait , anything smelly or stinky like chicken livers,cut fish like shiners and even prepared baits that come processed. the bulls are usually caught on bottom. some people use a sliprig for them but the over all favorite is 1 or 2 hooks with a heavy sinker under the hooks. alot of people ive seen use a bobber for a strike indicator. bullhead fishing is fun and the rewards are delicious meals if cooked right and sometime fast action.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version