FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vegetable Gardens  (Read 5393 times)

ole sam

Re: Vegetable Gardens
« Reply #30 on: Mar 31, 2011, 06:48 PM »
JM,

Hopefully you'll be right!  I never had much of a deer problem (just chucks & rabbits) till last summer when 3 bachelor bucks began visiting.  They can eat a lot in one night... 

I hope you do well!

OS
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

OTIS

« Reply #31 on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:05 AM »
I got 108 seeds started in their Jiffy greenhouses.  I planted: early girl tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, steak sandwich tomatoes, brandywine tomatoes, Italian sweet peppers, Italian long hot peppers, cayenne peppers, and habanero peppers.  Now I have to wait and see what kind of green thumb I really have.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

ole sam

« Reply #32 on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:23 AM »
WOW 108 seeds started!  That's a lot of transplanting to do OTIS!  Leave yourself some time to fish.   ;D

Seriously though, you must have quite a bit of garden space to put in that many plants.  Are you going to direct seed other vegetables as well?
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

OTIS

« Reply #33 on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:37 AM »
This is my first year starting from seed.  For what the plants cost, I figured I'd have nothing to lose.  We have a lot of space to plant them, I'm hoping that the majority of them make it through the whole process.  We'll probably end up having a hundred tomato plants and a couple hundred pepper plants between the bunch of us.  Next year I may try playing around with some watermelons.  I think the kids would like those.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

JRA

« Reply #34 on: Apr 05, 2011, 06:22 PM »
I keep telling myself someday I'm gonna have a nice little garden but right now I make a living growing veggies.  Started planting tomatoes in the ground today.  They were about 18" high.  Got about 150 in and alot more to go.  Grow these in a greenhouse,  my oil co LOVES me,  I'm in New Hampshire. Growing a garden should be relaxing.   Have fun.

slipperybob

« Reply #35 on: Apr 17, 2011, 04:15 AM »
I'm going to try my vegetable garden again this year.  Hopefully my blueberry and raspberry plants that I've attempted this year won't get killed by this cold snow spell we've got going this week.  Then I'll have to go back for some more plants.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

drfhaha123

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 02:46 AM »
1st time doing a garden,raised bed 4x12 feet,how many plants can i fit,tomato,pepper,and summer sq.?

OTIS

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 07:11 AM »
Google "Square Foot Gardening".  You should be able to get your answer there.

esox v

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 04:42 PM »
me either - and that's such a problem for our young ones.  video game skills won't feed you when the "grid" is down - take a kid fishing, and teach 'em to grow / gut thier own!
  You will be good if the grid goes down this year.. Next year you will need to buy more seeds... and if the grids down...Will there be any left to buy ??  You have to buy non hybrid seeds and keep them on hand then you can uses seeds from the veggies you have... to grow more.....Just a thought..
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

slipperybob

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2011, 01:55 PM »
I actually got something poking out of the ground now instead of weeds.  ;D
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2011, 01:59 PM »
I have all my plants sitting on the picnic table ready to go in but I'm going fishing instead.... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

redarrow61

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2011, 02:29 PM »
hahaha, I wish - stupid people make for stupid pets :-\
Feed him some lead

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.