FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Poachers Go To Prison  (Read 41264 times)

celt6

Re: Poachers Go To Prison
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 09:27 AM »
The Catskill Walleye poachers are due in Court today also, May 10....

kowboy

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Ive read all the posts on this topic and everyone has great points and opinions, heres mine from someone who gaurds these scumbags and as a sportsman. first and foremost illegal is illegal, maybe the penalty doesnt exactly fit the crime, but this happens all the time as im sure u all know. The reasons for the price of keeping inmates in jail is so high is we give them college courses, maintenence, horticulure, masonary, computer, woodwork, electrical ect we give them 3 meals aday and believe me its not what u see on tv the slop its balanced meals overwatched by some civilian food service guy exaple yesterdays dinner, chicken, cabbage, 4 pieces of bread, cake and chocklate milk. Cable tv, medical services that would make u vomit to see all they get where we as tax payers either half to pay and arm and leg for or cant even get, eye, foot, and dental, and this is all free to them. These guys may go to a prison, but if they do they wont spend but half the time ,if that in there, so if one gets 5yrs he may do 2 and so on. You cant tell me that them selling the fish was any more money then going and getting a 2nd job, no why because its easier and mor fun to fish and get money. Fish everyday for your food for your family u dont half to sell them and if you do dont take over your limit. I just see this as another easy way to make money, just like selling drugs, its easy money. I dont feel sorry for them at all. I do believe the system has to have changes and i believe beating an older guy on the river like ascumbag that he is deserves what these guys got and maybe they deserved his sentence, but its the flawed system and we as Americans have to change this .

JBoggey1

• Who would want to read the New York Times?
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 11:46 AM »
State, local and federal investigators said the trio kept hundreds more perch and panfish than the law allowed. The fish were allegedly caught from the Connecticut River between New Hampshire and Vermont, and the men were accused of selling them to a Whitehall bait shop.

The bait shop in turn sold them to companies that buy such fish for human consumption, a practice that is legal.

Investigators believe the group had been illegally taking fish from waters around the Northeast for years and selling them to Honey's Bait & Tackle in Whitehall. Neither Honey's nor its owner have been charged.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Until they publicize what was meant by "Illegally Taking Fish", there's no need to defend these guys !     They may have been netting, trapping, using explosives, snagging, shocking or using other illegal means to take the fish.   We don't know what means they took the fish !    Besides that, if they repoeatedly took over their limits, whether they sold them or not, throw the book at them !       If guys can afford to go fishing every day and take as many fish as they want, they're most likely not hurting too much financially....or maybe they live in a cave  ::) ::) ::) ::)
  We have some clowns like this right here in CNY !    Over the past couple days, I witnessed one of the groups wipe out a population of big pre spawn bluegills and sunfish and now they're back catching 6 inch fish and keeping every one they catch !      Between 3 and 6 guys lined up 25 feet apart and spreading their gear and 6 buckets in between them as to keep others from fishing the area.   Leaving worm containers, garbage and beer cans around the area and using language that caused a few families with kids to leave the area >:(
    The vehicles they were driving were fairly new and not Kia Rio's !    One was a brand new Chevy pick up, another was a late 2000's Lincoln Navigator !
  (Esox V knows the Red Chevy truck and it's owner)   These guys all work or are screwing the government with false disability claims, collecting welfare, food stamps and other funding and living better than a guy working 40 hours a week and they still act like scum bag vultures with no ethics, morals or concern for anything but putting more money in their pockets any way they can !

If you want to and can catch a "Legal Limit" of fish and sell them every day, have at it !   IT'S LEGAL and I have no problem with that !

I'd rather have our tax money going to imprison scum bags like these poachers who're infringing on the rest of use than some poor B@stard who got caught smoking a weed who's not hurting any of us,   !

Gamma, I made assumptions, all three were productive members od society. You made assumptions, they were all lazy scum sucking sycophants. Truth is most likely in the middle. In attempts to bolster our own opinions one often tends to exaggerate an issue to balance an argument in ones favor. That being said , my point, perhaps the punishment does not fit the crime. Obviously another issue is at hand, to make an example out of these fellows so as to discourage others from the same behaviors. Your contention, lock them up and throw away the key is only a short manifestation of your visceral reaction to the crime or crimes committed. Your intellectual logic should tell you the financial cost to society to incarcerate these individuals, while in the immediate, makes you feel better, does greater harm to society at whole. The incarceration of all scoflaws for minor offences, many as you have suggested as smoking a dooby or two would fill our jail cells beyond the breaking point. Many are suggesting this to now be the case. I, were I a judge, would find a much more pertinent sentence for these scoundrels, such as  spending week ends working at fish hatcherys, cleaning latrines and rest areas at our state parks clearing brush and do maintenance work on our hiking and riding trails, in effect to restore to those they have so grievously offended. This in my mind would be far superior to placing them in hell holes where they can learn even more onerous behaviors at the same time placing there dependents as wards of the state. By the way , is this disagreement going to keep me from getting those promised plastics?  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

kowboy

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Sorry about the spelling guys forgot to hit spell check, just got off a 16hr shift and this topic got me wired, spelling not one of my stronger points. Oh and the statements i made r my opinions and i respect all of yours as thats why we live in this great country, if everyone had the same opinions it would b aboring life and world

JBoggey1

• Who would want to read the New York Times?
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 12:02 PM »
Sorry about the spelling guys forgot to hit spell check, just got off a 16hr shift and this topic got me wired, spelling not one of my stronger points. Oh and the statements i made r my opinions and i respect all of yours as thats why we live in this great country, if everyone had the same opinions it would b aboring life and world
Kowboy, enjoyed your post. It was pertenant, but you combined two different offences. We were on the issue of the poachers, still all your vignetts of daily prison life are very telling. Never worry about the spelling. Tell it like it is.

Flukeman

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 01:10 PM »
My better half is from Vermont and the Connecticut River runs through town. There were signs saying do not eat the fish when I was there last year. Maybe the severity of the punishment has to do with selling over state lines and fish from a unhealthy water body. obviously most waters in NY come with some type of health advisory about eating fish, but I have never seen signs saying "eat no". The other thing I was thinking was maybe other states have stricter laws and they are using the stronger sentences in this case.

At any rate, I think abuse to that extent makes you a scumbag! If you want to catch some extra fish or shoot an extra deer to feed your family is one kind of excuse. Shooting 10 deer or catching hundreds of fish over your limit every time makes that excuse lame. Obviously they know how to catch fish in some manner. With all that extra money they should have gotten commercial licenses and worked to feed their families like the rest of the honest fishermen.

We have some very generous bag limits in this state considering the size of our population compared to most states. Heck you can get 5 deer and a chance at more if you are willing to hunt in some of the under subscribed deer units. You can catch all the perch you want in parts of Lake Ontario and the ST. Lawrence and probably other places I'm not aware of. There is no excuse for what they did.

Bailbuster

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 01:18 PM »
My better half is from Vermont and the Connecticut River runs through town. There were signs saying do not eat the fish when I was there last year. Maybe the severity of the punishment has to do with selling over state lines and fish from a unhealthy water body. obviously most waters in NY come with some type of health advisory about eating fish, but I have never seen signs saying "eat no". The other thing I was thinking was maybe other states have stricter laws and they are using the stronger sentences in this case.

At any rate, I think abuse to that extent makes you a scumbag! If you want to catch some extra fish or shoot an extra deer to feed your family is one kind of excuse. Shooting 10 deer or catching hundreds of fish over your limit every time makes that excuse lame. Obviously they know how to catch fish in some manner. With all that extra money they should have gotten commercial licenses and worked to feed their families like the rest of the honest fishermen.

We have some very generous bag limits in this state considering the size of our population compared to most states. Heck you can get 5 deer and a chance at more if you are willing to hunt in some of the under subscribed deer units. You can catch all the perch you want in parts of Lake Ontario and the ST. Lawrence and probably other places I'm not aware of. There is no excuse for what they did.
I would bet the sign you saw was put there by a anti VT Yankee muff not the state!!

Santo180

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 01:20 PM »
We have some very generous bag limits in this state considering the size of our population compared to most states.

Great point considering they were driving all the way to whitehall to sell their catch.  The shoulda just fished Lake Champlain/Southbay where there aren't limits on sunnies/perch.

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 01:55 PM »
well i say hit them with a gigantic fine and i mean huggge. then make them do community service with the dec to help maintain trails and road upkeep! make them work there butts off so they understand how much time,money and effort goes into upkeeping
our land and waters! i dont think prison is the answer for this kind of illegal activity. they wont learn and we wont bennifit from it one bit as sportsman.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 02:30 PM »
BML...I do like what you said...hunts2long

Bailbuster

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 02:46 PM »
Great point considering they were driving all the way to whitehall to sell their catch.  The shoulda just fished Lake Champlain/Southbay where there aren't limits on sunnies/perch.
One of them live in West Rutland thats 20 minutes from Whitehall, I think the buyer may be a crook as well.!!

perchgypsy

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 03:04 PM »
well i say hit them with a gigantic fine and i mean huggge. then make them do community service with the dec to help maintain trails and road upkeep! make them work there butts off so they understand how much time,money and effort goes into upkeeping
our land and waters! i dont think prison is the answer for this kind of illegal activity. they wont learn and we wont bennifit from it one bit as sportsman.
well said bml...but now if you do this more people think littering is fine because guys like these will be picking it up... the list goes on, with on crime comes another
my opinion on this is almost the same hit them with a heavy fine and make it known that everyone who does this gets the SAME punishment and put the money into the enviroment .....i understand different states have different laws and thats what makes us "free" but our laws need to be the same as far as fish and game laws go
how about the guys who got caught twice in lake george ...."everyone is created equal" until they are related to a judge or cop ....thats the way the law has turned out ever since they quit using the gun   >:(

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 03:16 PM »
my  post  got ate  lol  ...bottom  line  the  artical  said  they  sold a  total  of  less  then  4  grand  in fish !  so  we as tax  payers  should  pay a  min of  330  grand   to jail them  ,pay  the  court  system and  appeals ,pay  for there  court appointed attornys , pay  for  the local  state  law  enforcement ,pay  for  the FBI,pay  for  welfare  for there  familys  pay  for parole  after  and   welfare till they get on there feet  ....and  you think  this  is  a good deal???????   this is  stupid  is what it is.....  but  we  don't have the  money  to  balance a  budget  or  keep  the  parks  open ....and  in NH  don't they  toss  perch  on  the  ice  anyways  ???? :rotflol:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Captain1978

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 03:27 PM »
Well put BML. At first I agreed with the punishment. out of pure disgust.  But the huge fine,loss of fishing/hunting license, community service would be fitting to this type of crime.
El Capitano

tracker 1

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 03:41 PM »
   Where your argument goes south is at what point do  you say enough is enough.  What happens when his neighbor decides to do the same and then his son does the same. You give these guys an arm and next thing you know they want the other arm plus a leg. They knew they were breaking the law yet they took a risk, whats that old saying : don't do the crime if you cant do the time ". It is no different then someone jacking big bucks for the racks so they can sell them.  I  wouldn't have a problem with them getting reduced time in  exchange for doing weekends working for the state . Clean up state parks, pick up dead carcasses of the highway. This punishment sure will deter them from doing it again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.