FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mid summer Crappie  (Read 4498 times)

Jigwiggler

Mid summer Crappie
« on: Aug 01, 2004, 11:33 AM »
Anybody having luck crappie fishing?  My family and I have been having an excellent year catching good numbers of fish on each outing and I was just wondering if anybody else has been chasing them?  For me an 1/8 oz. jighead and a 3" chartruse grub has been killer on the better fish lately.  Fish are still holding 4-8' down over 10 - 25 feet of water.  I think the lower temps. this summer combined with all the rain has kept water temps down and made the fish more active.  I haven't gotten into any monsterous fish yet this year but have caught some really nice 15"+ fish.  I think night time may be more productive on the big ones but I haven't been able to get out at that time to try.  Has anyone else?
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

fastribs85

Re: Mid summer Crappie
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2004, 12:10 PM »
i have been out a feew times at nite and caought a couple up near the top with flys while trying for gills and trout they were all 10" or better and tasted good but im trying to get out one nite soon but where are you at if you not to far from me maybe we can meet up somewhere and try to get them
naked women and beer we got it all in here

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2004, 10:12 PM »
Yup I found the same thing trolled slowly with trolling motor. Fished with jig head and a grub.  They were in 10'-15' fow but were suspended from 4'-8'.  Got a bunch of them for a nice fish fry last weekend.  YUM ;D
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

fastribs85

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2004, 10:17 PM »
mine were hitting almost on the surface of the lake right down the road from me

Jigwiggler

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2004, 08:56 AM »
i have been out a feew times at nite and caought a couple up near the top with flys while trying for gills and trout they were all 10" or better and tasted good but im trying to get out one nite soon but where are you at if you not to far from me maybe we can meet up somewhere and try to get them

Fastribs, I'm in Wyoming Co. in NE PA.  If you ever get up this way give me a holler. 
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2004, 08:08 PM »
I haven't fished open water crappie much the last few years, I usually ice fish for them while setting out tip ups for pike to see if I can get lucky.
In open water, I have found with warmer water and hot temps, they generally go quite deep and suspend off the bottom, usually 10 feet off or so. I think the key is to find confined open water adjacent to structure like points and humps around the mouths of shallow, weed and brush filled bays where they are in the spring. Sonar is key I think. Don't fish till you find the depth they are holding at. Crappie aren't fussy. They seem to bite eagerly once found if your presentation is reasonably in the ballpark. The slipbobber is the best presentation around. Small minnows just above where the crappies are holding, or small tube jigs or twistertails with a piece of nightcrawler under the float seem to catch fish after fish.

Tyler

fastribs85

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2004, 11:30 PM »
hey dont worry maybebefore summers out ill be up that way one weekend ill let ya know and maybe we can get some

Fastribs, I'm in Wyoming Co. in NE PA.  If you ever get up this way give me a holler. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.