FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing line  (Read 6316 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Fishing line
« Reply #15 on: Jun 01, 2011, 10:24 AM »
After years of experimenting, I've been keeping it simple lately

Trilene XL for mono applications.

Power Pro for braid applications on casting tackle.

Fireline for braid applications using spinning tackle.

SISIF

« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2011, 11:02 PM »
I was just about turned right off of Suffix 832 in the last couple weeks. I've got a spool of 30lb and one of 40lb. I thought after some use it was proving to be crap cause I had strange breaks again and again. One time I casted a $12 crankbait and there it went out into the river. Finally I was relieved when the 40lb stuff broke just by me grabbing it to put a lure on the leader. Why was I relieved? Because that finally got me looking at the eyes on my rod to see that the very end eye  was cracked in half and super sharp. Every time I casted it was cutting the line a bit. And I was whipping out heavy lures.

Mick-Fish

« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2011, 11:10 AM »
P line for bottom bouncing and trolling,Raven for float fishing ....Mick-Fish

jibbs

« Reply #18 on: Jul 01, 2011, 03:06 PM »
i use a variety of lines for different setups...suffix mono, suffix deep cranking, PLine flourocarbon, Power Pro, and Triline flourocarbon...
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

TheDL

« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2011, 12:02 PM »
I was just about turned right off of Suffix 832 in the last couple weeks. I've got a spool of 30lb and one of 40lb. I thought after some use it was proving to be crap cause I had strange breaks again and again. One time I casted a $12 crankbait and there it went out into the river. Finally I was relieved when the 40lb stuff broke just by me grabbing it to put a lure on the leader. Why was I relieved? Because that finally got me looking at the eyes on my rod to see that the very end eye  was cracked in half and super sharp. Every time I casted it was cutting the line a bit. And I was whipping out heavy lures.
:o that can be expensive!
tight lines....

TheDL

« Reply #20 on: Jul 03, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I recently tried the suffix 832 10lb green.  I love it!  I spooled up a few reels with braid this year for the first time (used to use mono).  Suffix was the best, fireline and power pro close second.
I also tried flouro for the first time, I HATED the Berkley Vanish!  It breaks if you look at it wrong  >:(
tight lines....

filetandrelease

« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2011, 12:55 PM »
tried transoptic for a leader on my fireline and seems to be holding up so far

OTIS

« Reply #22 on: Jul 05, 2011, 07:21 AM »
I recently tried the suffix 832 10lb green.  I love it!  I spooled up a few reels with braid this year for the first time (used to use mono).  Suffix was the best, fireline and power pro close second.
I also tried flouro for the first time, I HATED the Berkley Vanish!  It breaks if you look at it wrong  >:(

I'll second the Suffix 832 10# green!  It's been awesome!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

TheDL

« Reply #23 on: Jul 05, 2011, 09:11 AM »
OTIS - did you find it faded a bit after time?  Not that bad, but I wish it was darker green still
tight lines....

OTIS

« Reply #24 on: Jul 05, 2011, 10:17 AM »
OTIS - did you find it faded a bit after time?  Not that bad, but I wish it was darker green still

Yes, I just noticed that this weekend.  It hasn't seemed to affect the line any, its now more of an army green versus the dark green it started out as.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

slipperybob

« Reply #25 on: Jul 06, 2011, 08:45 AM »
my 832 is more of a grey green... :D
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Clam Sr.

« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2011, 07:51 AM »
Most of my reels that don't have braid on them have Bass Pro Shops Excel Mono. You can't beat the price at less than $10 for 1,500 yds of the stuff, and it has little or no memory, fantastic abrasion resistance, and knot strength. For my braid applications I spool up Power Pro in either 20lb for spinning, or 50-60lb for frog/slop fishing. When the color wears out on one end, simply take the line off, and spool it on in reverse and you're left with brand new green line to use. I'm on my 4th yr with the same spool of 50lb Power Pro on my one Quantum Casting reel.

KeepaCatcha

« Reply #27 on: Jul 07, 2011, 07:56 AM »
cant go wrong with Stren Original

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2011, 08:11 AM »
Most of my reels that don't have braid on them have Bass Pro Shops Excel Mono. You can't beat the price at less than $10 for 1,500 yds of the stuff, and it has little or no memory, fantastic abrasion resistance, and knot strength. For my braid applications I spool up Power Pro in either 20lb for spinning, or 50-60lb for frog/slop fishing. When the color wears out on one end, simply take the line off, and spool it on in reverse and you're left with brand new green line to use. I'm on my 4th yr with the same spool of 50lb Power Pro on my one Quantum Casting reel.

Agree here with the power pro, stuff lasts forever!   I also reverse the fireline on my spinning reels too.

About the Excel, do you think its more like Trilene or more like Stren?

Clam Sr.

« Reply #29 on: Jul 07, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Agree here with the power pro, stuff lasts forever!   I also reverse the fireline on my spinning reels too.

About the Excel, do you think its more like Trilene or more like Stren?

Honestly, I think you get the best of both Trilene and Stren with the Excel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.