FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hudson River Striped Bass....  (Read 50953 times)

dmntd169

Re: Hudson River Striped Bass....
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2012, 07:48 AM »
This is an age old argument ..... for the most part the stripers follow the herring... and the herring run based on hours of daylight  8)

Dom - open invite on the ship of fools .......   i fish almost every morning.

Issiah and Jonathan are going to come up to fish as well ..........  sometimes two boats works well to cover more water.

the higher water temps will get them to more aggressively chase down herring/ lures which in turns gets many guys to believe they are running earlier...atleast thats how I look at it

I never fished the Hudson for them but fish the Delaware as well as the Susky Flats and its always within a week or two every year that the first #s of fish start getting caught. The warmer the water the more aggressive they become and the more usually end up being caught but we still mark plenty when the waters still cold.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

step2jimi

« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2012, 10:33 AM »
I'll be out as much as i can be. At least we wont have the conditions we had last year.

ebour

« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Yes! They are getting keepers in RI, and a 29 pounder was pulled out of chatham. Reportedly anyways

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Dom - open invite on the ship of fools .......   i fish almost every morning.

Thanks buddy...   That is something I will be sure to take you up on.... ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Reel Force

« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2012, 06:06 PM »
Now I got an itch, I can't scratch yet ....  ::)

step2jimi

« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Gonna be a good year Jeff no junk in the water. Well very little at least.

Reel Force

« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Crossin fingers ...  ;D

Raquettedacker look for all of us over on Stripers247.com . Hudson River thread. Lots of good info, and good people. If ya ever think of a charter think of www.acecharters.com.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2012, 12:44 PM »

look for all of us over on Stripers247.com .

yeah no thanks.   I liked you guys over there, but the saltwater guys are total a-holes.  Screw that place.  

bassinbrian

• In search of Lunkers !
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2012, 11:39 AM »
Will this warm weather get the Striped Bass in the river earlier this spring?

Here you go ...

Update from Tom the Riverbasin www.riverbasinsports.com    ... very reliable source.
His records go back much futher than mine. Earliest i have recorded is April 6th. Here is part of his report,
check his site for more info on the regs and info about Walleyes ....

_________________________________________________ _________
EARLY STRIPERS?

As we approach the start of April the most often heard question here at the River Basin is “Do you think the stripers will be in early this year?” Our reply is always that we won’t know until the end of March since we could still get nailed by a bunch of cold weather, “nor’easter storms,” or even a blizzard. This has all happened in years past.

But, should the present weather pattern continue, there is a good chance we might see an earlier arrival than usual. Generally the herring arrive here first, immediately followed by the stripers. There have been some years we’ve actually seen the stripers around before the herring. One thing for sure is that the stripers and the herring are partnered by nature and if we spot either one of them the other is sure to be around.

Ignoring the early February rumors we’ve heard of herring already being here, our River Basin records show the earliest past verified herring / striper arrival in the Catskill area took place back on March 29, 2002. At that time we were in a warming trend and the Catskill Creek was flowing at a temperature of 43 degrees, reaching 47 degrees just a week later. Other early arrival years at the end of March were 1983, 1987, 1998, 2004 and 2006.

Right now the trend seems to indicate that this year just might top any of those others. But keep in mind that that’s just the start of the run – it’s usually 2 to 3 weeks after that before the number of fish in the area has grown appreciably to the stage where you can successfully fish for them
Bring on the Stripers !!!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2012, 12:15 PM »
just got a first hand report from the river, from the haverstraw area.   My buddy is sampling juvenile sturgeon, and while they haven't seen any stripers or herring in their nets, they observed a fellow land a 30lb striper from shore today, about an hour ago.   They also heard a report of someone catching 25-30 small schoolies last week when it was warm.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2012, 12:19 PM »
Good info Brian...   Thanks..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

UPSTATE

« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2012, 12:20 PM »
just got a first hand report from the river, from the haverstraw area.   My buddy is sampling juvenile sturgeon, and while they haven't seen any stripers or herring in their nets, they observed a fellow land a 30lb striper from shore today, about an hour ago.   They also heard a report of someone catching 25-30 small schoolies last week when it was warm.

That's sweet man..... Let's hope it's a good run of fish this season .
just tryin to get her done

TimberKing

« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2012, 07:49 PM »
I'm in Newburgh. I was talking to a few guys that were fishing in Cornwall. As of April 5th they haven't had any luck. they were fishing from the shore... I have only seen 2-3 boats out fishing. It should pick up this coming week. I hope to get out during the week.

Hocfish

« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2012, 08:31 PM »
I consider myself a pretty hard-core fisherman, and chase stripers in the salt from MV to LBI.  I have only been doing the Hudson River thing for a few years since moving to Albany, and am trying to get the hang of it.  I fish out of Henry Hudson.  I haven't been able to consistenly figure out the pattern of where they hold (depth, current, tide, time of day), best presentation, etc., but have fun trying.  I typically anchor up and fish chunks on the bottom and/or a live herring on a downrigger.  I have also experimented with drifting and livelining herring and casting artificials.  Thus far the only tactic that has worked for me is chunks.

Anyhow, I would be interested to hear from anglers that have mastered the wonderful fishery and their success rates.  My success rate is around 50% (in other words, I get skunked as often as I catch one), and the most I have ever landed in a day is two fish.

Does this grasshopper still have a lot to learn, or is this level of success about par for the course?

Thanks, and have a great season.

bigreel

« Reply #29 on: Apr 07, 2012, 06:14 PM »
I would recamend you try to go to a striper seminar, they have boat Capt's. that give out a few tips, on the way
they rig for drifting, trolling etc.
if your doing 50 % now, i think that's pretty good. i have been after stripers, on the river seance 94-95, and i have lost more than i have boated by a long shot.
i do better with live lining herring, than chunks, and drifting is what i like to do, if i don`t see any schools of
fish coming up the river, iam not going to sit some if there ain't any fish there.
best of luck this yr.
to day i got a cat fish, and a 18`` shad, on my herring rig, water temp when i got off 48.6
did mark a few small schools under the boat.
p.s. a good site, to check is www.striperchum.com  they have a lot of tips, that show you how to rig up worm rigs and herring rigs, etc. GO getum.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.