FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Great Sign!  (Read 7009 times)

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
Great Sign!
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:25 AM »
This is great!

(Maybe the guy posts here by chance, He is from NY)

I really would like signs like these!

"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
Re: Great Sign!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:36 AM »
Love it! I'd like one of those signs myself.
FTD

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:38 AM »
Awesome sign Jon - we need more of them ! ;D
Those who are brave are free ..       

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:50 AM »
awrightay!!! where can i get one of those signs??? grump

wny angler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:52 AM »
nice sign ;D

but posted signs still s--k  :(
lost access to a remote section of a trout stream that i fished for years when the owner sold the land and the posted signs flew up  :-\

eyedoktr

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:37 AM »
WNY angler,
Just because an area is not posted, it doesn't mean that you can walk all over it. It's still private property and access should be requested from the owner. I hear it all the time. " I can hunt there because it's not posted" WRONG!

It is a great sign that I'd love to see become popular.
Pete Lewis

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:53 AM »
I saw a cool one in north west wisconsin. it read : IS THERE LIFE AFTER DEATH? TRESSPASS HERE AND FIND OUT!!!

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:54 AM »
Great sign!  Awesome sign!  I like the ask first type of signs.  Let's order up a couple hundred and put them up for sale to members here!

Eyedoktr - in NH if private land isn't posted you are allowed to be on it legally without permission.

Taken from NH Fish and Game's website:

What are the legal requirements for posting property?

Under state law (RSA 635:4), the legal manner of posting calls for posting durable signs with any words describing the physical activity prohibited, such as "No Hunting or Trespassing," in letters at least 2 inches high, and with the owner's name and address. The signs may be no further than 100 yards apart on all sides of the property and shall also be posted at gates, bars and all commonly used entrances.

Can I hunt on private land that's not posted?

Yes. But it's always good to ask the landowner first.

Common law in New Hampshire gives the public the right of access to land that's not posted. You won't find that in state law books, because it is common law, going back to the philosophy of New England's early colonists and supported over the centuries by case law. Our forefathers knew the importance of balancing the need for landowners' rights with that of the public good. On one hand, the landowner can make decisions about his or her land. On the other hand, the public should have limited rights to use and enjoy that land. The colonists held similar democratic notions about rivers, lakes, fish and wildlife.

Today, it's easy to take this notion for granted. In New Hampshire and elsewhere in New England, we enjoy a long, proud tradition of public use of private land.
This tradition also comes with a risk. A landowner who finds trash, disrespect or other problems can easily decide to post his or her land.

Residents of some Western states find this notion of private land/public use very strange. Hunters in some states pay hundreds of dollars in annual fees to landowners to hunt their lands. It's just another cost of hunting.

Other states have what's called reverse posting. Access is limited to land that's specifically posted for that use. If it's not posted, you can't go on it.

And some states require written landowner permission for hunting.

Can I hunt on land that's not posted under the legal manner of posting?

No.

Even if a landowner doesn't meet the letter of the law in RSA 635:4 (see above, legal manner of posting), a hunter or hiker cannot use land where the landowner has made a reasonable effort to post it against trespassing.

Let's say a landowner long ago put two or three aging "No Trespassing" signs where his land abuts a town road. But he didn't put up signs all the way around his property, as the law requires. Now let's say some hunters see the signs, but decide to reach the man's land from another direction. Those hunters could be charged with criminal trespass.

Here's what the law says (RSA 635:2): "Criminal trespass is a misdemeanor if … the person knowingly enters or remains … in any secured premises. … Secured premises means any place which is posted in a manner prescribed by law or in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, or which is fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders."

I deer hunt on unposted private property every year.  This year, the land owner put up signs that said he discovered trash and would post the property if it weren't removed immediately.  I never knew who the landowner was until then.  I called him right away and told him that I didn't leave the trash pile but that I would remove it for him if he would continue to allow us to hunt on his property without posting it.  He was very pleased and we even worked out that the trash could stay until this spring so as to not disturb the hunting season.

wny angler

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:56 AM »
thanks for setting me strait man

i fished that area for 20 years and the former owner had no problem with anglers accessing his land to fish the stream ,i even brought back a few fish for him at times

now i walk 3 miles to get into that area on 2 surgicly repaired knees--the stream banks have public fishing rightd but the land bordering it is private.

i always ask permission first   but thanks for seeting me strait anyways eyedoktr

tommyboy

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:20 AM »
Just curious - has anyone seen these signs sold anywhere.  I would love to get my hands on some.  Thanks!
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

eyedoktr

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:39 AM »
Cider, that's just one more reason to love NH. The state with the best motto as far as I'm concerned. My sister and bro-in-law keep on telling me how great it is and how much they love it up there.

wny angler, I wan't trying to be nasty it's just surprising how many people feel that way and all they would need to do is ask for permission. My brother owns a few hunderd acres south of Rochester,NY and I'm just shocked how many people go on his land ...and it's even posted.
Pete Lewis

seaweed01

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:33 PM »
I would like to have one of those signs for my den.

Cider

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:33 PM »
Cider, that's just one more reason to love NH. The state with the best motto as far as I'm concerned. My sister and bro-in-law keep on telling me how great it is and how much they love it up there.

Where does your sister live?  Of course, we have cool common laws, pretty fall colors, and an awesome state motto but the game is a little sparse compared to some of the mid-western states.

eyedoktr

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:55 PM »
Cider, she's in Amherst. The only time I've been there was the day she got married. Flew into Boston, drove to town, photographed her wedding, drove back to Boston, flew back home. What a day.
Pete Lewis

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.