FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rod building  (Read 27615 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Rod building
« Reply #135 on: Feb 13, 2021, 02:41 PM »
That’s why my Bride always lettered mine. She has near perfect penmanship. Mine is a cross between Mandarin, Egyptian and a doctors prescription.

Kamar goes a long way.

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #136 on: Feb 13, 2021, 02:44 PM »

Hey Mac, these pens work pretty good for under a clear coating. We use them to label crank baits we paint, before clear coat.
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #137 on: Feb 13, 2021, 03:14 PM »
Yeah..but that assumes he knows how to write :rotflol:

They do work well. I’ve thought about signing some of my custom bobbers with them.

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #138 on: Feb 13, 2021, 04:08 PM »
Yeah..but that assumes he knows how to write :rotflol:

They do work well. I’ve thought about signing some of my custom bobbers with them.

Bob

I've said it many times............."You're a funny funny guy Bob".

But you're right.
I have tried paint pens in the past and I simply cannot write anything legible on that small diameter blank.
It comes out looking like crap.

But thanks.

The labels will work if I can get something over them to protect them until I can get a coat of epoxy over them and it dries.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #139 on: Feb 13, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Just kidding around.

Do a test or two with blank labels . The Kamar is a lacquer and therefore has some volatile carriers. Thing is, it dries so fast that it doesn’t seem to damage anything. I have a couple different brands I’ve gotten from Hobby Lobby and Michaels. They’re all about the same.

If it doesn’t work out, you could always give the label a coat or two of polyurethane sealer. I use a water based polyurethane sanding sealer to fix the feather inlays on my bobbers. They get coated with spar varnish after that with no change. To me it’s better than any color preserver I’ve ever used in rod building.

Anyway, epoxy topcoats aren’t really aggressive. They don’t have a lot of quick evaporating carriers. They work more on a chemical reaction to form a bond. Don’t know why it would have affected your label that way.

Bob

Mac Attack

« Reply #140 on: Feb 14, 2021, 02:45 PM »
I started the 2nd rod.  The 7.5’ medium weight.  I reversed the colors on the wrap this time.  I redid that tiptop 6X!!!  I kept pulling the red accent wrap out.  Lotta swearing and I finally got it.  I think this black wrap with the red twist accent is going to look outrageous after I get the epoxy on it.  I stuck the sister rod in one of the pics for comparison.  My neck hurts from leaning over this thing.  Time for a single malt Irish whiskey on the rocks.  Should be another 2 weeks or so and they should be ready to ship.

Mac Attack

« Reply #141 on: Feb 27, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Just layed down the epoxy on the rod.
Almost done with it.

KingPerch

« Reply #142 on: Jun 14, 2021, 11:13 AM »
The bamboo rods, that Bob put his personal touches on, are now home safe and sound!! 🙂 they are absolutely amazing. Now, I need to find a couple of reels for them.

I couldn’t have found a better person to bring the life back into those rods for Josh and I. For that, Josh and I Thank You, Bob, for taking time out of Your schedule to do this for us. The gentleman who owned them from day one, is looking down with a big smile knowing they will be put to use again.

I told Josh that the three of us need a fishing day in the near future to try them out.

Life is Good!!😎

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #143 on: Jun 14, 2021, 12:14 PM »
My pleasure!
I might just know where a couple nice older reels could be found that would match up nicely with those rods.

:D

KingPerch

« Reply #144 on: Jun 14, 2021, 04:34 PM »
Looks like you just might know!!!😁

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #145 on: Jun 14, 2021, 04:50 PM »
I’d be happy to part with a couple of my collection for this cause. The South Bends would be a perfect match. Maybe an 1165 for the shooting star and an 1145 for the midge.

I’d be happy to let you give them a try when we get out. You just need to get a couple lines. The midge seems suited to a 4 wt and the shooting star to a 7 wt. I’d try a Cortland Sylk  in WF or DT.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #146 on: Jun 14, 2021, 04:52 PM »
I’ll provide a couple furled leaders to match. They fit the bill.

KingPerch

« Reply #147 on: Jun 14, 2021, 06:56 PM »
Thanks, Bob!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.