FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 3 days, 3 lakes, 5 species - awesome weekend!  (Read 2182 times)

TheDL

3 days, 3 lakes, 5 species - awesome weekend!
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:01 AM »
Headed out to Quinte for the night bite on Friday with Laker_2011 and Bass_Belt, fished from about 10:00pm to 2:30am.  Marked lots of big fish in Picton Bay by the cement plant and threw everything in the box at them but couldn't manage a bite.  Sleep deprived but not beaten we tried Hay Bay and were rewarded with some nice eaters throwing husky jerks in the sandy shallows - didn't manage any pics, but they tasted great!  Unfortunately I managed to loose the "magic" husky jerk (HOT colour not made anymore) on a bad cast.   :'(
After a restfull 2.5 hrs of sleep we all headed out to the big waters of Lake O from Salmon point.  Trolling around for Browns in that area was pretty unproductive, so we headed over to Athol Bay which had produced in the past.  The same old tactics of orange stick baits on in line planar boards wasnt' working so we threw a blue and silver ripplin red fin out on a long flatline and finally got a decent hookup.  The boys  graciously handed me the rod since I've not boated a brown yet (despite many failed attempts), and after a good long fight it was within sight - looked to be at least 6-7 pounder, and as we went to get the net in the water it bucked on the surface and threw the hooks  >:(  We changed out all the orange for blue and silver baits and cruised around for a few more hours without a touch.  Just as we were about to pull the plug and head home the outside planar fired and we had another one on!  Again, the rod was handed to me and with 350+ feet of line out it was a good fight to get my first ever brown trout into the boat!!  Just over 5lbs of furious brown!

;D

tight lines....

TheDL

Re: 3 days, 3 lakes, 5 species - awesome weekend!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:08 AM »
Sunday I was flying solo, so I headed to the local waters of the St. Lawrence by Gannanoque.  That was a mistake.  Everyone and there dog was ripping around yahoo-style on power boats and PWCs.  The fishing was almost non-existant, managed a few small pike, some decent perch and incidental OOS bass (all went back, no pics).  I had a real hard time getting aroung in my 14 ft tinny, and actually got swamped twice by jerks running within 20 feet of my boat full tilt in huge speed boats...and they had the nerve to wave as they threw wake over my bow  :cursing:  Called it quits pretty early that day.
Monday was redemption day on the river - took my buddy Danny out to show him the hot pike bite at the Gan river & St Lawrence intersection.  I was pleased to see the yuppy-yahoo-powerboat crowd had returned to thier homes by Monday and we had some decent action all morning.  I managed about a dozen decent pike in the boat, all on a gold/black HJ-14 over the weed tops in 14 fow.  Here's the big one on the day:

Might be a personal best for me - it certainly wasn't the longest ever, but had a good gut on i - so I stopped and bought a digital scale on my way home...sad to say it only weighed in at 5lbs 12 oz.   I think I've been lying to myself with my estimates at fish weights...might have to return that scale  ;)

tight lines....

Laker2011

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 08:35 AM »
Great report DL!!  Sure was an awesome weekend!!  I've almost recovered from our antics lol.  Glad to hear you got into some pike as well.

We'll do it again soon!

Later,
Laker2011
Tight lines and Stay safe!

bass_belt

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:50 AM »
That was one hell of a weekend man! I'm glad we didn't skunked, survived a near run in with a bouy during our night fish and managed to boat your first Brown! Can't wait to get back out there! WOOOO, I love long weekends!

bass_belt

O

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 10:20 AM »
Nice pike DL, that's a ten pounder at least  ;)

Goonloon

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:44 AM »
Nice one DL....sorry to hear about your fave husky jerk, but congrats on yer 1st brown and a good pike.

PWCs :nono:

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:47 PM »
nice job man, sounds like a blast

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 03:32 PM »
That sounds like a fun 3 days and way to go on your multi species action, good fishing pictures also. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.