FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Got a new rod!  (Read 7540 times)

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
Got a new rod!
« on: Mar 26, 2013, 07:25 AM »
So I was in need of a new baitcasting rod, and had a tight budget. I bought the new Daiwa Laguna 7' MH Fast action. Ive fished it once so far, and it is a great rod. pretty sensitive, pretty light, and its longer handle balances nicely with my Shimano cardiff 400a, which isnt an easy reel to balance btw. The rod is rated to 1 oz, but can easily cast up to 2 oz, though as a regular thing i probably would exceed 1.5 oz or so.....Overall, im happy with the rod, and seems to be worth the $47 i paid for it, and i am likely to get one of the spinning rod models in the future.
><)))))))}\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'<         ><)))>    ><))><br />                                      ><))>      <br />                                ><))>

jibbs

Re: Got a new rod!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2013, 10:39 AM »
Just curious what kind of lures are you throwing that are over 1 oz?
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Just curious what kind of lures are you throwing that are over 1 oz?
Honsetly, very few. I do have a couple larger cranks that are pushing 1oz. But the reason i took the time to see how it handles the heavier weights is because I have been thinking about getting some smaller musky spinners to use for pike, and i cannot find any under 1-1.5 oz. Smaller swimbaits have been tempting me as well. Since those arent lures i would be using all the time, i figured i could find a compromise and throw them on my general purpose rod if i can find a bait that is small enough.
><)))))))}\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'<         ><)))>    ><))><br />                                      ><))>      <br />                                ><))>

jibbs

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2013, 04:11 PM »
Honsetly, very few. I do have a couple larger cranks that are pushing 1oz. But the reason i took the time to see how it handles the heavier weights is because I have been thinking about getting some smaller musky spinners to use for pike, and i cannot find any under 1-1.5 oz. Smaller swimbaits have been tempting me as well. Since those arent lures i would be using all the time, i figured i could find a compromise and throw them on my general purpose rod if i can find a bait that is small enough.
i see... I think the heaviest lure I throw is one ounce and that a Carolina rig...I do throw a ton if 3/4 oz football jigs and I'm sure the Norman dd22 must be close to an oz
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2013, 07:48 AM »
i see... I think the heaviest lure I throw is one ounce and that a Carolina rig...I do throw a ton if 3/4 oz football jigs and I'm sure the Norman dd22 must be close to an oz
Ya know, I CANT BUY A BITE if i weight my soft plastics, or try fishing a bass jig. Thats one thing i would like to get better at, is jig fishing.  I understand the concept, but for whatever reason, success eludes me.

jibbs

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2013, 08:34 AM »
i don't think i could catch a fish without weight...i mean i will throw senkos in the junk, but my main 3 techniques when tourney fishing are crankbaits, jigs and carolina rigs...jigs are great...don't feel like you are doing it wrong...swim it, hop it, drag it, or let it sit there...i prefer to drag football jigs and swim or hop everything else

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2013, 09:53 AM »
i don't think i could catch a fish without weight...i mean i will throw senkos in the junk, but my main 3 techniques when tourney fishing are crankbaits, jigs and carolina rigs...jigs are great...don't feel like you are doing it wrong...swim it, hop it, drag it, or let it sit there...i prefer to drag football jigs and swim or hop everything else
I love fishing weightless, even in open water. But when i want to cover water i like to use a shallow diving Rebel jointed minnow, in the 4.5" size. I think im going to give jigs an honest effort though. 

jtk2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Ya know, I CANT BUY A BITE if i weight my soft plastics, or try fishing a bass jig. Thats one thing i would like to get better at, is jig fishing.  I understand the concept, but for whatever reason, success eludes me.
i used to say the same thing. then last year i went out and just used a jig all day. ill find fish in different spots than fishing other lures. and many of those fish will be better quality. if you stick with it and force yourself to figure it out, you'll catch fish. it worked for me. i found a trailer is very important, i used paca chunks and had pretty good success. the claws have a ton of action. good luck.
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2013, 06:55 AM »
i used to say the same thing. then last year i went out and just used a jig all day. ill find fish in different spots than fishing other lures. and many of those fish will be better quality. if you stick with it and force yourself to figure it out, you'll catch fish. it worked for me. i found a trailer is very important, i used paca chunks and had pretty good success. the claws have a ton of action. good luck.
I guess  the only way to learn it is to do it.

chez

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2013, 11:50 AM »
I just got a new rod.Bionic Blade set up with the DIAWA LAGUNA REEL.7' MH.I absolutly love This set up.I WAS OUT ON FATHERSDAY  and had a ball with it.I Caught 7 bass and 2 picerel.on CHUGBUGS,AND FLOATING RAPALAS.30LB.BRAID EQUAL TO 8LB.MONO.I can toss those lures a mile.I was out this sunday and threw crankbaits all afternoon.the rod and reel was a dream. I landed over a dozen fish.IM ordering another set up.I would recomend this set up to anyone.Beginner or pro.Nice price too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.