FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: wilson ny perch  (Read 2958 times)

stratos122

wilson ny perch
« on: Sep 05, 2014, 08:01 AM »
anybody getting any perch off the peir or in the creek?

steelie1975

Re: wilson ny perch
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2014, 08:58 PM »
spotty at best
Steelieslayer

fishryc

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2014, 11:30 AM »
spotty at best

I lived in Wilson for 13 years having moved out 4 years ago.
 Over that span, my experience was a steady decline in both size and numbers, and much inconsistency in both Spring and Autumn perch runs.
 Going back 15 to 20 years ago, a Spring run morning of fishing could produce 3 dozen or more decent size fish @ and above 10 inches.
 I can only wonder why this area seems less attractive to my beloved ringbacks, as my North of Rochester Lake Ontario perch haunts have had their ups and downs, but have not realized this steady decline.
 I'll often swing by Wilson and Point Breeze on my way home from Rochester only to see meager catches compared to what was in my bucket from Summerville / Charlotte, Braddocks, Cranberry and or Long Pond, and I-Bay.
 I hope to see a swing back to better perchin' @ Wilson and Olcott harbors one year soon, as it would save me a lot of fuel $$$'s on my weekly treks from Niagara Falls to my Rochester haunts!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2014, 12:19 PM »
 Over that span, my experience was a steady decline in both size and numbers, and much inconsistency in both Spring and Autumn perch runs.
 Going back 15 to 20 years ago, a Spring run morning of fishing could produce 3 dozen or more decent size fish @ and above 10 inches.
 I can only wonder why this area seems less attractive to my beloved ringbacks, as my North of Rochester Lake Ontario perch haunts have had their ups and downs, but have not realized this steady decline.
 I'll often swing by Wilson and Point Breeze on my way home from Rochester only to see meager catches compared to what was in my bucket from Summerville / Charlotte, Braddocks, Cranberry and or Long Pond, and I-Bay.
 I hope to see a swing back to better perchin' @ Wilson and Olcott harbors one year soon, as it would save me a lot of fuel $$$'s on my weekly treks from Niagara Falls to my Rochester haunts!

Stick to the power rez Scotty.
 ;D

Hey - the 4 of need a night out soon.  (BADLY)
After I close up the place on Erie for the winter.
Mid to late next month maybe.
Also, Mom's gone.

stratos122

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2014, 02:36 PM »

A couple years ago i got into them real good and ever since then nothing since nothing. Ever since then iv been going to canandaguia lake and doing real good and sometimes Irondequoit.

Prchmike

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2014, 08:12 AM »
I have noticed the same thing. It used to be nothing to get off work in Buffalo and jet up to Wilson and get half a limit of good perch and still make it home by around dark. I am with you. In the spring and fall I am somewhere around Rochester every Saturday. I still get into them pretty good at Pt. Breeze or up the creek from there but that's even an extra half hour drive. Once in as while I get some fair catches at Tuscarora but nothing like it used to be. By the way we have started getting some fish at the piers in Rochester.
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

fishryc

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2014, 08:26 AM »
I have noticed the same thing. It used to be nothing to get off work in Buffalo and jet up to Wilson and get half a limit of good perch and still make it home by around dark. I am with you. In the spring and fall I am somewhere around Rochester every Saturday. I still get into them pretty good at Pt. Breeze or up the creek from there but that's even an extra half hour drive. Once in as while I get some fair catches at Tuscarora but nothing like it used to be. By the way we have started getting some fish at the piers in Rochester.
Yep, that's what I've heard.
 I'll be heading to the Summerville side Sunday @ daybreak.
 Also, any word on the minnows at the foot of Ferry?
 Generally they're pretty small if they're in @ this time of year, but I may take a dip or 2 after work Sat. if they're in.
 Thanks..............................
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

G. Gordon Liddy

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2014, 08:34 AM »
They are there Scotty.
Small but not as small as in some past years when you couldn't even get them onto the hook.
Still small enough you might use 2 or 3 on a hook though.

Prchmike

« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2014, 11:15 AM »
I have been using the minnows from Ferry on a #8 hook for a month now. Next time out I'll switch to #6s They are big enough.
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

fishryc

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2014, 06:37 AM »
I have been using the minnows from Ferry on a #8 hook for a month now. Next time out I'll switch to #6s They are big enough.
Thanks! Net's in the car for as soon as I'm outa here! (Work)
 BTW, I only use #2 thin bronze wire Aberdeen's for my perch catchin', as the long shank makes for easy gripping with pliers for the (in general) fair number of hook gulpers I experience.
 This thin wire should be fine with these smaller minnows.
 Thanks again....................................

G. Gordon Liddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.