FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flies for Carp?  (Read 32809 times)

NJChris

Flies for Carp?
« on: Apr 19, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Anyone here fly fish for carp? I hooked into a huge one today and ended up losing it, but man was it an epic fight. I was using a size ten wooly bugger going for panfish, but was wondering what the guru's are using for carp.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Re: Flies for Carp?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2015, 12:00 AM »
I have never fly fished for carp before, but I did come across this interesting carp fly.  It is suppose to represent a cottonwood or black poplar seed that carp sometimes eat when in season.:)
See link for details ---> http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/120803fotw.php

WW

NJChris

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2015, 10:17 AM »
I have never fly fished for carp before, but I did come across this interesting carp fly.  It is suppose to represent a cottonwood or black poplar seed that carp sometimes eat when in season.:)
See link for details ---> http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/120803fotw.php

WW

That's an interesting one. I don't tie my own flies, but I'll have to see if I can find that. I knew carp eat a wide variety of things, but I've never seen that before. Thanks for the reply!

Water Wolf

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2015, 09:55 PM »
Hi NJChris,
Here is another plant related fly a few folks use for carp ----> http://thesimontons.com/flyrecipes.html
This one may work were you find mulberries close to carp waters. ;)

Carp sure seem to enjoy tasty plant snacks more then most fish it seems.

WW

NJChris

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Hi NJChris,
Here is another plant related fly a few folks use for carp ----> http://thesimontons.com/flyrecipes.html
This one may work were you find mulberries close to carp waters. ;)

Carp sure seem to enjoy tasty plant snacks more then most fish it seems.

WW

I was thinking some salmon egg pattern flies might imitate mulberries fairly well

NJChris

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2015, 06:51 PM »
After losing another one from the boat Saturday, I went back and got it done today from the bank. Granted this was by far the smallest of the three, in the 20-24in range, but I'm happy to land one. All three hook ups were on size 10 woolly buggers, so it seems like right now these bunch of carp are keying in on them. If you can put it in front of them, they eat it. Now I just need to put the bug in front of a big one and see if I can get it done.

Water Wolf

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Nice carp. Good to see the flys are working for you. :)
I bet they put up a good fight on a fly rod.

WW

mt.redneck

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2016, 11:18 PM »
Carp will readily eat small minnows and leaches Givin the chance. A wooly bugger is a fairly popular carp fly I think
God bless and tight lines!

sisabdulax

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:49 PM »
I have fly fished some for them. Wooly buggers on rust brown leggy work. I also like a Golden Retriever flies from Mossy Creek Fly Fishing in Va. The rootbeer color does good as well! I have also had some luck on rising fish on stimulators. They are a blast!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2018, 04:41 PM »
I've been known to take a carp or two on the fly.

Corn flies, Mulberry flies, crayfish imitations all work in different situations. The cottonseed fly is deadly as well when the drop is on.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

sisabdulax

« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Nice! I hope to do a lil more for carp this summer!!! Poor mans bonefish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.