FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518141 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1215 on: Apr 27, 2017, 03:58 AM »
Happy to say I've got asparagus on all the crowns I planted last season.

Little white nubs popping up under the leaf mulch.

Couldn't resist snapping one spear off and munching it fresh from the garden. Delicious for sure. If they really get cranking, I might harvest one meal just because. Other than that it's going to go another season till I pick any quantity.

My garlic is very happy. All 64 cloves I planted sprouted up nicely. I placed some white onion sets in between the garlic rows.

The radishes are growing nice and slow. Should produce better than my late season crop last fall. It got too warm and the plants bolted.

My starter plants are recovering quite nicely in the "intensive care" ward back under lights in the basement. I'm going to start re-potting the healthiest to larger peat pots to really get them going. I started way more than I needed just in case. I'm glad I did.

Pretty good start to the planting season so far.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1216 on: Apr 27, 2017, 07:11 AM »

Wow you have a lot going on already  ;D ;D ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1217 on: Apr 27, 2017, 05:57 PM »
I swear the asparagus grew 3" today.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1218 on: Apr 27, 2017, 07:34 PM »
It's almost amazing how much it will grow in a day!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1219 on: Apr 27, 2017, 07:37 PM »
Finally! We've got color!   :thumbup_smilie:

I'll bet there's 150 tomatoes in there!

The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishin4eyes

« Reply #1220 on: Apr 27, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Garden is looking good rg. Went out past Rochester yesterday and picked up my order. Was cheaper than paying shipping. Ground is still soaked here. Not ideal planting conditions.  Got 50 of 100 blueberries in and 6 of 40 apple trees in.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1221 on: Apr 28, 2017, 04:41 PM »
That's a lot of digging bud. More power to you.

My son and I are doing the final touches on the horseshoe court tomorrow. There'll be some digging, but not much.

Then, pitching some shoes, maybe a beverage or three, burgers on the grill.........yeah!

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1222 on: Apr 28, 2017, 08:45 PM »
You know friend, you need some good old fashioned sandy-loam for those pits so the shoes "stick" when they land. Your mulch thing kind of bothers me a little. Lol.  There's bounce in that, which makes it a different game. I'd still throw with you though.   :whistling:  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1223 on: Apr 29, 2017, 03:21 AM »
It's very temporary Bill  ;D.
I'm scouting for blue clay. When we do that, we're going to solid stakes and buried timbers for stake bases.

And you're right, there's a bit of bounce, but not as much as you'd think. It does force you to be more accurate though.

I'm designing a practice aid that my son doesn't know about. I'm going to mount a Hula Hoop to a pole at a distance and height that provides the proper arc for a soft landing. Consistent trajectory is a key to this bouncy pit medium. I was thinking back to my days of tending the skeet fields and using the setup hoop to adjust the flight. The members (the ones who couldn't hit a clay bird in the box on the ground) always griped about the birds being to low and fast, but they were regulation .

So I pondered tossing through a hoop to practice different trajectories. I changesd my stance a little and adjusted my grip to get a 1 3/4 turn shoe. I'd say 70% are landing open now, but I have to work on that release point to get on the stake. My son tosses a flip shoe and they tend to fly all over if he's off by much.

And.....last but not least.....now that the Little Wood Shop is up and running again, I'm going to build a Center Court "refreshment station".  :w00t: :w00t:

We have a lot of fun tossing shoes.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1224 on: Apr 29, 2017, 05:12 PM »
The court is coming along. My son is coming over tomorrow to help me bury the timbers for the pitching platforms.

Had some fun in the little wood shop today too. Made my Bride some new flower boxes.

Fun stuff. I'm impressed with the new Dewalt mitre box. Really slick machine.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1225 on: Apr 30, 2017, 05:04 PM »
So the planter boxes are ready for planting when the time comes. I used 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth for the bottom for drainage so I lined them with landscape fabric to hold the soil.

I think they'll work out pretty well.

Rg

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1226 on: Apr 30, 2017, 05:42 PM »
Oh yeah....my son and I finished the horseshoe court.

Worked out pretty well. I'm 3 sets to 0 for the season so far ;D

And...the bluebird likes the scoreboard

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1227 on: Apr 30, 2017, 08:53 PM »
The court looks pretty darned good, Bob!   ;D

boondox

« Reply #1228 on: Apr 30, 2017, 09:36 PM »
X2

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1229 on: May 01, 2017, 03:35 AM »
Thanks guys. We're having fun with it.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.