FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 519101 times)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #705 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:25 AM »
I have two, Dom . There's the old Waring that's only five trays under a dome.  It was my first, probably 25 yrs. old. It's very basic but works. The other is a NESCO brand.  It doesn't have a dome. The  stackable trays make the enclosure with the heat element and fan at the top.   The book says you can stack up to 20 trays, but I think you could double that. Thermostatic control.  It works great.

One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Mac Attack

« Reply #706 on: Sep 20, 2016, 08:20 AM »
Been considering a dehydrator for years.
I have a very general cost question.
I love dried fruit.
Specifically, bananas.

Is it cheaper to simply buy the dried fruit in bulk at Wegmans.
Vs the cost of the unit, fruit, and the electric?

Just curious.

Sometimes, making your own does cost more, but is better.
Like less additives (sugar, sodium, etc.)
Not sure if this is the case with dried fruit from the bulk food department at the store though, but maybe.

Thoughts?

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #707 on: Sep 20, 2016, 09:21 AM »
It's definitely easier to buy banana chips, but not by a lot. Bulk chips run around $3.00/ lb. I think. Fresh bananas are around $.39/ lb. I would guess an average 2 lb. bunch would yield a half a pound of dry chips. 1/2 hour of labor pealing and slicing. Less than a day in the dehydrator, but generally I let it go 24 hrs. just for convenience sake. I'm not going to leave work or get up at 3:00 AM to pull things from the dehydrator. The electric, I'm not sure of, but it can't be much; tiny fan and element at generally 145* max.

In the end it's probably close, but I know that that little black "seed" in the chips is a banana seed and not something the factory mouse left behind.

I've dried all kinds of things, but the foods I commonly dehydrate are the yearly gallon bag of tomatoes, cucumber chips (really good with beer), apples, peppers, herbs, and mushrooms. When the store has the fresh sliced button mushrooms or baby Bellas on sale, I'll buy 5 or 6 containers and just load the dehydrator straight out of the carton. There again, the next evening they're done, in the cupboard, and good for months.

I'm rambling now....... Hope I helped.   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Mac Attack

« Reply #708 on: Sep 20, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Thanks.

I've got so darn many "toys" now.

But thought drying my own fruit would be cheaper than buying it.
Then I got to thinking about it and......................

Mac Attack

« Reply #709 on: Sep 20, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Here's a link to a cool chart on how much it costs to run a dehydrator -

http://www.dehydratorreview.net/articles/how-much-does-it-cost-dehydrate-food

I was looking at a 600 watt Nesco unit.
To run it continuously for 24 hrs runs about $1.72

Not as bad as I thought.
I got nervous when I saw the 600 watts.
I started thinking six 100 watt lightbulbs and thought this thing was going to really suck up the electric.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #710 on: Sep 20, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Now wait a minute here Mac. 600 watts is 600 watts whether it's a dehydrator or one of your other favorite toys.

Anyway, who cares how much it costs to run. If you want to make your own prunes....make your own prunes ;D

Fishmachine.....did I read right that you use the Kitchen aid attachment?  I've been looking at that one as I already have the grinder.  The grinder works marginally well for meat. I've been peeling the tomatoes same as you, seeding by hand and then sending them through the grinder.  It makes a really nice purée. I've also been looking at electric food mills and the Vitoria mill that Dom suggested. I'll choose something by next year.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #711 on: Sep 20, 2016, 05:48 PM »
  https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=victorio+food+strainer
   ;D ;D ;D  There awesome...

My garden is still strong... Lots of tomatoes, peppers, squash, egg plant and cabbage...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #712 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:01 PM »
You're amazing! Truly a good gardener.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #713 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:32 PM »
This is the strainer we use Bob -

https://www.amazon.com/Strainer-Sauce-Maker-Fruits-Vegetables/dp/B0000BYDR1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474413819&sr=8-1&keywords=roma+tomato+strainer

It works well.
But if you are doing a lot, at one time, get a good electric.

I have a Gander Mountain #12 Professional Series meat grinder and it works awesome for grinding meat when I make sausage.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gander-Mountain-12-Professional-Electric-Meat-Grinder&i=754157

I do not use to stuff the casings though.
I bought a 5# sausage stuffer and it works awesome.

Anyway, I'm looking into the Cabelas tomato strainer and wondering if it will fit my grinder.
I might buy it and if it doesn't then return it.

Here is what I'm looking at for my grinder -

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/food-processing/food-grinders%7C/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104364180/cabela-s-tomato-strainer-attachment-for-8-and-12-grinders/2288616.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F_%2FN-1101293#tabsCollection

Oh yea...........watts is watts.
I know.
My point was that I would have thought a 600 watt dehydrator would have cost me more than $1.72 to run it for 24 hrs.
Off the top of my head, I would have thought that.
But when I saw that chart on that site I posted (and did the math myself).............you know.
 8)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #714 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:35 PM »

Dom ..... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #715 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:46 PM »
Just got to do it Bob, love picking fresh food...   ;D

Thanks Eddy.. How did  those perch taste?    ::) ::) ::) ::)   :P :P

The Victorio works great and you can get screens for jellies and jams ..  
But I heard the attachment for the other grinder works well..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #716 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:05 PM »
RG, yes we use the Kitchen - Aide attachment.  This is our second year with it.  Before that we had a neighbor that insisted we use his Vitoria. We are very pleased with it and see no difference in the  results between the two. No more peeling and seeding.  Just wash and quarter the tomatoes and run then trough.  Seeds and skins out the end and juice and pulp out the bottom. I recommend it.  ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #717 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:25 PM »
A tip when using any strainer.........run the "junk" through a 2nd time.
You will be amazed at how much more you extract.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #718 on: Sep 20, 2016, 08:36 PM »
That is beautiful, Dom!   ;D

Bartman44

« Reply #719 on: Sep 20, 2016, 09:25 PM »
Dom,

Your garden is impeccable and well maintained, a work of art if you will.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.