FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513118 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #135 on: Jul 09, 2015, 02:52 AM »
Yup, south wall ;D

I'm all set to expand the garden next year. The back wall of the garage is also south facing. A friend of mine has a Woods tiller for his tractor. He said he'll turn the garden over for me. This thing will till down 12" in a 60" swath.

Should be a lot of fun.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #136 on: Jul 12, 2015, 03:53 PM »
Picked a bunch of cucumbers today... Steaks on the grill, salt potatoes and cucumber, tomato and pepper salad tonight.. ;D ;D

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #137 on: Jul 13, 2015, 03:05 AM »
I'm jealous Dom!

I've been rethinking my garden plan for next year. I really like the raised bed idea. So, I think I'm going to start off with 2 4x8 beds and go from there. I'll have to get the soil mixed though. I was thinking I'd rent a small cement mixer. Come up with a soil ratio and mix it that way.

You'll have to school me on an appropriate mix.

Did you guys use pressure treated wood for the beds?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #138 on: Jul 13, 2015, 06:45 AM »
I'm jealous Dom!

I've been rethinking my garden plan for next year. I really like the raised bed idea. So, I think I'm going to start off with 2 4x8 beds and go from there. I'll have to get the soil mixed though. I was thinking I'd rent a small cement mixer. Come up with a soil ratio and mix it that way.

You'll have to school me on an appropriate mix.

Did you guys use pressure treated wood for the beds?

Rg

Yep treated wood here.. held togather by coated screws so ghey dont rust out as quick ...  might want to consider a black plastic cover to keep weeds out or to a minimum... so your not doing it three times a year spring ,middle of summer ,and fall... like we use to do here cause we used top soil from a composter that sells compost. Any how there is lots of weeds seeds in it just a heads up. You should just get a 55 galon drum and make a wood base you can spin it on... there are ideas for sturdy ones ..I would not suggest one with a lot oh holes in it either just a small vent...

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #139 on: Jul 13, 2015, 01:07 PM »
You can use presser treated wood if you want.... :sick: :sick:
I don't take to kindly to arsenic in my fresh vegetables...             http://www.finegardening.com/does-pressure-treated-wood-belong-your-garden
This old hippy doesn't even use chemical fertilizer (miracle grow) or round-up at all...
My soil consists of sheep poop, compost and vermiculite....  Our wast management will fill my truck with compost for $15 and I started a big pile of it a few years ago so I'm using stuff 3 years or older....  Sheep poop I get for free and have a big pile of that also composting.....
As far as weeding I don't think I spend that much time at all.. If I'm in the garden and see some weeds I pull them out......
And 2"x10"x8' pine is all you need..  3 to make one box 4'x8'.
And use the galvanized 4" screws....
Now this is just my opinion....    ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #140 on: Jul 13, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Do you guys ever listen to your local NPR radio? Great show at 7am Sat and Sun.... You bet your garden..... ;D ;D
     http://whyy.org/cms/youbetyourgarden/

Go to here under raised beds..

http://www.gardensalive.com/category/you_bet_your_garden

boondox

« Reply #141 on: Jul 13, 2015, 04:13 PM »
It is a no no :nono: :nono: to use fresh poop in the garden check it out before you try it...you can get real sick from using wet fresh manure. ..  tons of ways we can make our self sick including miracle gro.. and pressure treated lumber...so why worry so much?  Lol's.  .....if your going to do it your going to do it.... just like if it is my time it's my time to go...
 Lol's

http://www.homegrownfun.com/how-to-use-manure-in-the-vegetable-garden-chicken-horse-cow/

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #142 on: Jul 13, 2015, 04:27 PM »
  Our wast management will fill my truck with compost for $15 and I started a big pile of it a few years ago so I'm using stuff 3 years or older....     Sheep poop I get for free and have a big pile of that also composting...

;D ;D
Not fresh......

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #143 on: Jul 13, 2015, 05:32 PM »
I can get rough sawn hemlock and cedar from a couple of sawmills I know. I think that's the way to go.  Full 2x10 ought to last a good long time. Just thought I'd ask.

I was thinking I could get a delivery of screened topsoil and mix it with vermiculite and some good compost. If I set it this Fall, I can work it again in the spring and add compost to it.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #144 on: Jul 13, 2015, 06:06 PM »
That sounds great Bob..   If you can put down a couple of layers of cardboard under the beds... ;)

boondox

« Reply #145 on: Jul 13, 2015, 06:33 PM »
I thought you said fresh poop is why I say it...any kind of wet poop carries bacteria and viruses so keep it in mind. Most links suggest it to be dried out completely before use..

Oh ya Rg if you can not get enough card board try toys-r-us... they give it away some times... like boxes used for baby dippers etc...

Also just checked the garden got a ton of unripe grape and beef steak tamato's I will get a picture of later this week hopefully ripe...

Mac Attack

« Reply #146 on: Jul 13, 2015, 07:32 PM »
I can get rough sawn hemlock and cedar from a couple of sawmills I know. I think that's the way to go.  Full 2x10 ought to last a good long time. Just thought I'd ask.

I was thinking I could get a delivery of screened topsoil and mix it with vermiculite and some good compost. If I set it this Fall, I can work it again in the spring and add compost to it.

Rg

I till manure into mine in the Fall Bob.
Then cover it for the winter with black plastic.
On the warmer days it gets real hot underneath it.
And I read that it kills any residual seeds.
Not sure if I buy into that, but it really does help to rot the weeds I chopped up when tilling.
The plastic is relatively cheap and goes down easy with a staple gun.
I bought a 120VAC staple gun.
Use it to fix the rabbit fence to the 2 x 10's for the summer too.
Raised bed is the way to go.
Unless you got land...........and a tractor.

8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #147 on: Jul 14, 2015, 03:20 AM »
I can get 4 mil black plastic for free and I was thinking of that. My hoarder friend has a few rolls  ::)

Work it this fall and cover it til spring. Why cardboard under the bed Dom?

Also, you use no plant foods other than compost? I've been thinking about setting up a compost bin. Great for growing red worms too ;D
Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #148 on: Jul 14, 2015, 05:41 AM »
The cardboard will kill the weeds and hold moisture in the bed.....
Just compost and compost tea to feed my plants...   ;)

Mac Attack

« Reply #149 on: Jul 14, 2015, 06:19 AM »
I have a rotating compost drum that works, but I don't do it as often as I should.
I should rake the grass clippings............right.
 ::)

Dom is right Bob.
Compost and compost tea is the best.
I should do and use more, but I don't.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.