FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513136 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #300 on: Mar 19, 2016, 10:10 AM »
Sweet Bob.

But....ahhhh....errrr.....where did you get the troffer from?    :whistling:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #301 on: Mar 19, 2016, 10:37 AM »
That looks great Bob..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #302 on: Mar 19, 2016, 04:08 PM »
Sweet Bob.

But....ahhhh....errrr.....where did you get the troffer from?    :whistling:
I was at my Lowes and was talking with the electrical dept manager. He's a real nice guy and I help out there quite a bit. I told him what I was up to and he said he had a couple damaged fixtures. I wasn't concerned about it being crushed a little. I laid it on the floor and did a little dance on it.  So, $50 fixture for $20..... Works for me.

Made progress on the new dig.
Almost halfway there.

Lots of rocks.

I'm beginning to think I may not need to raise the beds. The soil is pretty darned good looking. I think a bit of compost, manure...maybe some sand and vermiculite..........I may just do 2 or 3 tiers of landscape timbers. And call it good.

Question.....do radishes, peppers, garlic and asparagus like the same soil conditions?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #303 on: Mar 19, 2016, 09:51 PM »

Got a damaged 2x4, 4 lamp troffer from work for $20.

Rg

this is what I was referring too.

work???

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #304 on: Mar 20, 2016, 01:50 PM »
Well,  :-\ ;) sort of work.

Turned over the other side today. Tilled down to around a foot.

Lots of debris removed.

I'm ready to do a border and beef up the soil. It's mostly clay, so I was thinking a few bags of sand, composted manure and peat will help. I'm open to suggestions.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #305 on: Mar 20, 2016, 02:28 PM »
If it's clay, definitely some peat moss Bob.
That reminds me this year it's time for me to add some to the garden.
Good for the tomatoes and peppers seem to like it too.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #306 on: Mar 20, 2016, 02:44 PM »
1/4 sand, 1/4 peat moss half compost..
There must be a waste management close to you that sells it..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #307 on: Mar 20, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Thanks guys.
I don't need that much Dom. I'll buy it at work. As it stands now, I'm doing a 2x8 raised bed just for asparagus. From all I've read that needs to be a bed by itself. So that one is gonna be all bagged material. The rest is for my radishes, garlic, peppers and tomatoes. I may throw in some cukes and zucchini.

I'm not really concerned about cost as much as effectiveness. We sell composted cow manure, sand and peat. I can have the garden folks save all the broken bags for me and it'll cost me next to nothing. I think I'm going to fabricate a sifter to remove the stray roots and stuff. I transplanted all the tiger lilies to a row at the back but there's a lot of root left. That crap,is hard to get rid of once it's established.

I might rent a mortar mixer to help blend the mix. I figure the more I do now, the better it will be later.

I like my "job"  ;D

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #308 on: Mar 22, 2016, 04:36 PM »
My "Nifty Sifter"

Should work well to remove the left over rocks and roots. Then I can mix the peat, sand and compost in the tub to return it to the garden.

Not bad for about $15.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #309 on: Mar 22, 2016, 05:06 PM »
All I can say is that's great like everything you do... :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:

boondox

« Reply #310 on: Mar 22, 2016, 05:33 PM »
rg that is a great move and great idea! but you should run the peat and the sand threw the sifter too with the dirt you got it will mix it better unless you can get a cement mixer rented then do it that way... but great pointers and good points for us rookies lol's ...

Mac Attack

« Reply #311 on: Mar 22, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Nice job Bob.

The chain suspension so you can shake it looks simple but effective.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #312 on: Mar 22, 2016, 06:25 PM »
Had 4 chains  on it to start. Didn't like it. This way I can sift then flip it over and dump the refuse into another wheel barrow. It'll work ok. I've plenty to test it on ;D

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #313 on: Mar 26, 2016, 05:23 PM »
Made some more progress on my little garden today.
Picked up a load of material this morning as well as a new, improved model of the dreaded garden implement.

Got 3 of the posts set and the borders in place on one side.

Put the "nifty sifter" too work and sifted out the compost bin.

Ended up with a good pile of nice bed soil.

Put the asparagus bed together. I'll flip it over and drive the rebars into the ground to hold it in place.

Still 3 posts to set, a couple beds to build, fence and gate, lots of digging, sifting and blending soil. But I'm happy so far. It's shaping up to be a nice little garden.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #314 on: Mar 27, 2016, 09:31 AM »
Looks great Bob... :thumbup_smilie:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.